SAU Community

Rear Main Seal on rb20det

Hello so on my 3rd attempt with rear main seal install, oem looked flush when I took it out. 1st try it went it uneven and too far, 2nd try with another new seal it went in mostly flush but one side ended up crooked and couldn't even it out well enough. Well THE 3RD TRY AT THIS, seal looks and feels pretty even all the way around on inner and outer ring, cant even slide a piece of paper under it anywhere, BUT it isn't flush with the seal cover. It goes in ever so slightly, , maybe a few mm. Otherwise its even all around on its depth.

Now my question here is, would the rear main seal being slightly in cause any leaking? as long as its even and the surface was cleaned? It wasnt leaking before but with the transmission off I decided to do it since a 30yr old seal MUST be showing some age at this point, but when it came out it was just as soft and pliable as new one to my surprise so it wasnt needed but needs one installed now regardless.

I am losing my mind trying to get this stupid seal on and I think im good to go with it finally but just curious of others opinions more knowledgeable as ive read conflicting things saying IT MUST BE FLUSH WITH THE COVER OR ITLL LEAK, and also people saying in a bit is fine as long as its even and theres no gaps.

Thanks for any advice/help