SAU Community

Insurance thru RACV

inark

I wrote them a letter expressing my "concern" about the fact that RACV have other Skylines on their books yet they will not insure mine.

This is the reply i got

=========================================

Dear Mr Nikora

Thank you for your enquiry to the RACV website dated 28 October 2002,

requesting more information about insuring your Nissan Skyline. In

order to discuss your enquiry, I will need to speak with you directly so

that I can determine why you were told you could not insure this

vehicle. I regret that I can not answer you anonymously, as we need to

collect certain information in order to determine eligilibility for a

policy.

Please contact me on 1800 675 958 so that we can investigate your

concern.

=========================================

The way it is worded it sounds like it is possible to insure skylines... but obviously there are some ways in which they will not insure u.

I'll give them a call tomorow and find out exactly what the deal is and keep u guys informed of the outcome as im sure there are a number of others that would prefer to insure thru them especially when u can pay monthly :)

yeah im sure there are a few ppl interested... and i will tell them this tomorow when i call.. if they think about it they could increase their client base in one swoop :)

being on my Ps im not very confident that they will insure me... but im sure that ppl who arent on their Ps will be more likely to.. will have a full write up tomorow.

I dont think if your on your p's or not will make a difference, from my understanding is that if you have all your stuff (house, boat, another car, etc) insured with them then they may insure you. but if its just the car they say no

Originally posted by ex-static

They dont insure imports. Unless thier policy has changed recently.

Im sure the pleb that answered that query doesnt know what they are talking about.

But if they do, then all the better!

they have 6 others on their listings....

skyline33 - yeah i spose ur right... that was one of the things i commented on in my letter also as i have a few other things with them as well as some other family members.

i started a thread about this a little while ago....i DID get an official quote on my r33 from them, and it was pretty much on par with the other companys.....i DO NOT have anything else to insure except my car...they might only insure you if you are already with them to start with i dont know, like i already have my berlina with them......

i knew they would do it as i have proof

as inark said they have 6 skylines on there list, including n/a and turbos!!

pls do keep us informed dude!

Originally posted by hotsky

i started a thread about this a little while ago....i DID get an official quote on my r33 from them, and it was pretty much on par with the other companys.....i DO NOT have anything else to insure except my car...they might only insure you if you are already with them to start with i dont know, like i already have my berlina with them......

i knew they would do it as i have proof

as inark said they have 6 skylines on there list, including n/a and turbos!!

pls do keep us informed dude!

yeah i remember that post which is why now i have refinanced my other car and xfered the insurance over with them i decided to send them an email getting stuck into them to find out what the deal is... :)

hopefully its good news at the end of it...

i remember that post and i called them at the time and the guy said they dont insure them, i told him that i know people that have insurance with the same car with them. then he said what are their names to check them out on the computer (i dont know).

what i will do one day is scan the qoute they sent me and attach it here, it shites me when they say yes to someone and then flatley resfuse to another...you see with racv, they will give me a rating 2, like i have now.....JUST CARS will NOT honour that and will give me rating 5 !!! BIIIIIG difference

Originally posted by hotsky

what i will do one day is scan the qoute they sent me and attach it here, it shites me when they say yes to someone and then flatley resfuse to another...you see with racv, they will give me a rating 2, like i have now.....JUST CARS will NOT honour that and will give me rating 5  !!!   BIIIIIG difference

how old are you

Guest zerorespect

even if you can get insurance thru racv listen to my tale of woe...

my honda prelude insurance went up $275 last year and $315 this year...no claims..no nothing

rating 1/60%ncb, 27yo, 2 minor speeding fines in last 3 years, and a 94 vtir prelude costs $1675 to insure....market value...

a few years ago i got rear-ended and was forced to take it to their service centre in mitcham...it went back 3 times and in the end i just didn't take it back to fix the stuff i was still unhappy about because my time is just too valuable to spend arguing with some racv repair guy...they tried 3 TIMES to play the "get the supervisor who was away on holidays while my repairs were done and then come out and be on my side and agree that repairs weren't sone correctly" trick....2nd time round i just plainly told them to cut the sh!t and fix it....if you stood out the front of that joint you'd see the same pantomine every 5 minutes i reckon

one of the many things i took offence to was the heat shield around the muffler being all bent at stuffed, so they fixed it..............i was expecting a new one (they aren't worth that much) but was horrified to see they fixed it with a pair of tin-snips! cutting away the bent bits (read 30%-40% of the shield)......when i complained (among other things) they took the car back to fix it and when i got it back i was again horrified to see that by "fixing it" they meant spray the underneath of the car black so i you couldn't see the freshly cut edges!

my replaced/fixed 2.5" exhaust comprised of them cutting the pipe where it was compressed and welding in new sections along it's length....i found out 6 months later when my car was up on a hoist

still...my mates with aami and they seem to be much more painful to deal with....

soon as i can sell the prelude it's gtr time and just cars (yes i know they're really aami) or shannons for me

my brother works at the RACV repair shop which is about 5 mins from here so im pretty sure if anything happens (if they end up insuring it that is) that it will get looked after a little more :D

I have had bad experiences with them...

If you do insure with them you aren't forced to go to their repair shop - though when you ring up to make a claim they will make you think that this is the case...

Just make sure you get other quotes from other beaters first.. before you go to them - especially if you think they might be going to write off your car!!

If you think they will write off your car - once they come to a figure you will have little recource but to accept it - but if you have quotes on it you might just have a chance to beat them at their own game...

eg. - my wifes car was written off by them - But while deciding if they were going to write it off or repair it they were working an figures of 80% of $4200 (this means that if the repair costs came in at over 80% of $4200 then its a wite off)

It did come back with over 80% repair cost - so was written off -

But when it was handed over to the next department they tried to pay out at around $1200 odd !!!

So they were willing to spend up to $3360 (80% of 4200) to repair it but only wanted to pay out at $1200 for a write off !!!

stuff that.

They didn't get away with it I am proud to say

But it wasn't easy and took a lot of calls (and someone on the inside :D

So make your life easier - get other repair quotes first -

it's your right make sure you exercise it.

I was ringing around for quotes the other day and RACV wanted $7000 off me to insure my non turbo r33 -- this was based on a turbo r33 though because they didn't have the non turbo model in their system. :D I was surprised they gave me a quote at all actually.

Just Cars were almost as bad at $4700. It was an extra $200 if I put an exhaust system on, and another $200 for air filter.

Needless to say I am taking out third party property cover for $368 with Just Cars until I accumulate a decent rating :)

BTW, I'm 17 with no motoring offences and no insurance record.

cheers

greg