SAU Community

Insurance thru RACV

inark

Originally posted by akeenan

its only $20 for me ??

your age might have something to do with it??

The $200 I was told is just what the guy I was speaking to pulled from his head -- he didn't actually do a proper quote based on those mods.

Im 40 years old with no driving convictions or fines at all and Suncorp Metway wanted something like $17000 (yes seventeen thousand dollars) a year to insure my GTR. I live in Melbourne but If I lived in QLD the price was closer to $1800. I rang up twice to get this figure and talked to 2 different people. The reason for this outrageous price was because they arent properly established in Melbourne as yet.

yeah suncorp is a rip off (ridiculous prices)in victoria i remember a couple of months ago they quoted 45000 for a gtst the lady herself couldn't beleive it, she did the quote twice to make sure all the details were correct.

• 3 weeks later...

RACV I doubt will insure any import.

Their prices were cheapest for me when I was a P-plater many many years ago, and still are competitive. Best option these days seems to be justcar insurance for any import. Friend insured a 94 Supra for $1200 or so.. they quoted me $1300 for a R33 GTS-T (rating 1, no accidents, blah). Insurance for my old R31 is like still $500 for fullcomp, even though the value of the car is like $4000 (max!) and I'm 26 rating one.

Once you get past about 25, its like "instantly" you're a better driver which is pure b.s. I think they need much more intelligent ways to figure this out (any car above a certain p/w ratio needs the driver to go for an advanced driving course, etc). I mean half the old people on the road can't drive anyway!

Insurance companies are pr*cks period. If they can find any way out of a claim, they will. If they can charge you a ridiculous premium, they will. If you drive a 2 door (even if its an excel), its "sporty" and they will charge you more. If you are a P plater you will pay 2x - 3x what a 30 year old would pay.

It all sucks. I'm nearing the end of the process (rating 1 for a couple of years) and still its not as cheap as it should be. Least I can get a fast car and be able to afford the insurance now. Over in NZ they can pay $400 for insurance for a GTS-T R33 - shows how different it is over here.

Originally posted by skyline33

yeah suncorp is a rip off (ridiculous prices)in victoria i remember a couple of months ago they quoted 45000 for a gtst the lady herself couldn't beleive it, she did the quote twice to make sure all the details were correct.

ah...the old suncorp in victoria insurance prices....hahahaa, for a R33 GTS-T i was quote.........*drum roll*......$108,000.

come on...that's gotta be a record! ;) ;)