SAU Community

Transmission Cooler

Sydneykid

Go the stacked plate style like SK has. Much more efficient than a serpentine style of the same size. In fact for the same size core it works about 30% more efficiently.

MOST of the good stacked plate cores are made by the company from Canada and just rebadged/packaged. Eg. B & M, BTR, Drive tech. All the same core, different packaging but all VERY good trans coolers. It is unbelievable how much heat transfer gets done with one of these... And the oil is the only thing keeping the box alive!

Cheers.

SK where can we get this valve body upgrade.

Cheers ICE

Hi Ice, there is a good value group buy going on with MV Automatics in SA. So check out the group buy section.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work, i recently installed a Transmission Cooler on my 2001 Nissan Maxima, after already going through one gear box and seeming there note exactly easy to find i decided to take some precautions this time, ended up being very easy to install, me and a mate had it finished within 3 hours..

Good work

• 1 month later...

I fitted up the Davis Craig cooler yesterday. It is a relatively easy fitment but having a front mount makes it a bit harder to get in.

One thing the SK didn’t mention or maybe didn’t have trouble with on his car is that one of the stock pipes ends right next to the edge of the cooler making it impossible to fit the hose. I got around this by bending both pipes towards the front of the car a little.

oh and I have better horns

RIMG0961.JPG

RIMG0960.JPG

RIMG0959.JPG

RIMG0957.JPG

RIMG0956.JPG

I fitted up the Davis Craig cooler yesterday.  It is a relatively easy fitment but having a front mount makes it a bit harder to get in.  

One thing the SK didn’t mention or maybe didn’t have trouble with on his car is that one of the stock pipes ends right next to the edge of the cooler making it impossible to fit the hose. I got around this by bending both pipes towards the front of the car a little.  

oh and I have better horns

Good job on the install, must have been tricky getting to the bottom bolt on the trans cooler standard bracket with the front mount there. The standard pipes were a bit of a pain, but I squeezed the hoses on without doing any bending. Yours is neeter though with the bent pipes and you have used less hose as well.

Oh and nice horns, what brand are they? Are they loud?

PS; not keen on the pink wiring though

I have a large tranny cooler fitted to my 25x Four ( 4WD non Turbo ) Stagea as I tow a caravan. But I notice it takes ages for the box to go into torque converter lockup during normal driving. I am guessing this is because the cooler is so efficent and there is a temp sensor in the tranny?? I tried putting a board in front of the cooler when I was not towing, but not any better. Is there anyone else with an extra cooler who has noticed this too?? Bit hard on fuel this way, as does 3000rpm at 100kph till the TC locks up!

• 2 weeks later...

Since upgrading my transmission cooler I've noticed that from cold it takes about 2km of city driving 'longer' before locking up 4th. This is an expected side-effect of the increased cooling capacity.

Converter lock-up is electronically controlled & thermally limited. The gearbox computer requires the transmission to be up to operating temperature before it can be used.

• 3 weeks later...

i got one from the wreckers $40 and it's a Davis Craig kit they are fitted standard to the supercharged holdens i dont know what year holden but they are exatly the same

just a tid bit of info for the people with wifes and no money he he

• 7 months later...

Just to let you guys know my stock cooler is about 280x160xwhatever and has been moved to the side out of the way of the radiator and intercooler.

I decided to put a temperature gauge in to see what the temps were doing. I asked an expert what temps to worry about and was told to keep it under 130 degrees C.

I then went to Wakefield on a hot day and did numerous laps. The trans fluid temp never got over 105.

The conclusion I'm drawing here is that the cooler is smaller in size but handles the job no worries. I have no idea whether more heat is generated towing or racing.

I have a tube without the fins for my power steering stock. Should I be worrying about cooling this fluid any more? For some weird reason it's on the other side of the car to the power steering fluid reservoir. Maybe because of the steering box being on that side.

Just to let you guys know my stock cooler is about 280x160xwhatever and has been moved to the side out of the way of the radiator and intercooler.

I decided to put a temperature gauge in to see what the temps were doing.  I asked an expert what temps to worry about and was told to keep it under 130 degrees C.

I then went to Wakefield on a hot day and did numerous laps.  The trans fluid temp never got over 105.

The conclusion I'm drawing here is that the cooler is smaller in size but handles the job no worries.  I have no idea whether more heat is generated towing or racing.

I have a tube without the fins for my power steering stock.  Should I be worrying about cooling this fluid any more?  For some weird reason it's on the other side of the car to the power steering fluid reservoir.  Maybe because of the steering box being on that side.

Generally speaking, I reckon circuit work is better (cooler) then towing as there is lots of airflow. Towing can be lots of torque converter and gearbox load with very low airflow eg; in traffic.

I am upgrading the R32GTST power steering cooler from the standard loop of aluminium to the transmission cooler I took off the Stagea. Plenty big enough and I am being environmentally sound by recycling. :(

:( cheers :(

said this once to Chris (prank)

You loose perspective of size when you living life at 1680x1050. For me the original was "small". ive dumbed it down even furthur :D

Ill probably make the ducting out of 0.5mm or 1mm aluminium from bunnings, pop riveted together.

Ill let everyone know :(