SAU Community

Turbo Hi-flowed or Not

WhiteR33

if its a gcg hi flow they put a little tag on it to say when it was built, and who it was built by (gcg)

you can always check the exh wheel as well, if its a high flow, its fairly large, and is steel ... the ceramic one of the std tubby feels plasticy and light ...

cheers

Or more technically. do a continuity test across the exhaust turbine with a multimeter.

Ceramic does not conduct, steel/alloy does. No highflow will retain the ceramic turbine.

Like tango has said, it's fairly obvious as the exhaust housing outlet will have been machined out too, as well as the intake

yes you have to remove the dump pipe to get access to the exhaust turbine ..

there are too many variables to say yes its a high flow or low flow ... the only realy way to test is to look at the turbine ... but if you are minus a tag on the turbo, chances are its a stocker...

cheers

definitely not a hi flow.

RB25's with the above mods PLUS PFC get just over 200rwkw with stock turbo.

Wow.... was planning to get a PFC too. So it only makes about 15kw difference...

But anyway... how much does it cost to get a stock turbo hi-flowed nowadays? Is it worth it, or it's better if I get a new/2nd hand bigger turbo? I don't think I have a high goal for power yet.

Cheers

Andy

I think GCG in sydney can hi flow your stock turbo to be able to produce 500hp worth of air.

I belive that costs about $2250 (might have to have another look)

NOTE: This does not mean that you will make 500hp.. you will require other mods to reach any where near close to that.

the PFC might only make 15rwkw more than now but it will make bit moe torque and your car's tune will be safe.

also, with each mod you do, it's only a little bit more tuning required to get it right.

the way the car revs/builds boost will change also.

considering you have a FMIC and fuel pump, your air:fuel mixtures could be anything at the moment.

so I still think it's worth it to get a PFC for the R33.

Sorry to hi-jack but I am wondering what sort of power to expect from my engine once installed.

I have a HR31 Coupe which is getting a RB25DETneo dropped into it, I have heard that these motors equipped with a FMIC and a 3" exhaust are good for 200kw at the wheels.

If I were to have those mods plus get the standard turbo hi-flo'd and running approx 1 bar, would I be pushing it to get somewhere close to the 250rwkw mark?

After the hi-flo I plan a powerFC and some bigger injectors too, possibly also some more aggressive cams. Any suggestinos on how much that would make?

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions, and sorry for hijacking.