SAU Community

For the Voters

FINER6

This was posted on the WRX forum this morning...

I have just spoken to a friend of mine in the Vic. Police force, who has told me that the Labour party intends to really crack down on speed if it wins this election (they have to pay for their promises to the minority groups somehow)

Speed cameras will have a 1kph tolerence, ie, 61 in a 60 will see you booked, and there in a new range of penalties (also applies to radar/laser guns and other methods).

1 - 5 kph over, 1point $250

6 - 15 kph over, 3 points, $750

15 - 25 kph over, 9 points, $1500 for clean record, instant loss 6 month of licence and $3000 for repeat offence (even for 1 point)

25 kph plus, instant loss of license for 12 months and $4500 fine for first offence, doubled for previous offences.

They are also looking at a way of limiting modifications made to cars, there was talk of a maximum performance increase of 10% over manufacturers claims, anything more renders the vehicle unroadworthy, and a limit to the types of cars that people can drive according to age, the example given was the the XR6 Turbo would be illegal to be driven by anyone under the age of 30 on Victorian roads.

I will state that this is currently unsubstantiated, but this is the same officer that informed me over a month beforehand about the change in tolerances on the speed cameras.

now there is a difference between trying to save lives, revenue raising, and just plain utter stupidity

i think we all know which one this is.....

i would love bracksie to actually have to drive his car one day instead of being driven around everywhere, and cop one of those fines etc....

but then again it would prob just be written off as a nesesity(sp?) of the job!!

They are also looking at a way of limiting modifications made to cars, there was talk of a maximum performance increase of 10% over manufacturers claims
Well, thats a load of BS. They won't even enforce the "high powered vehicles for P-platers" regulations because "its too hard to do the calculations". They aren't going to want to do the calcs on this one either. This belies the claim that they will introduce age-limited driver / car combinations. They are going to have to harrass every driver because they look a certain age. Yeah, sure!

Frankly, the whole conversation wreaks of April 1.