SAU Community

R33 GST with RB20??

I'm looking at buyign my first skyline.

As advertised....GTS R33 1994 (non turbo)

I was under the impression that _ALL_ GTS R33 had RB25.

This car has R33 stamped all under the bonnet, but is also stamped RB20. Does anyone know if this is the original motor, or if it is a replacement (dont ask me why ud put a smaller one in)?? Also is there a simple visual difference between the RB20 and RB25 that is easy to pick?

Thanks in advance

*Luke

yes, they were available with only RB20DE.. or was it even RB20E - the japanese "taxi" spec, or close to it..

Well the RB25 will have Nissan 2500 on the cam cover, the RB20 won't.. you'll also notice that the RB25det has "kinks" at the back of the cam covers.. the RB20 doesn't. Note that both of those items may be swapped quite easily... check the engine number, down bottom left the block (will need torch).. starts with rb20.. it's an rb20..

Ok ok, thanks

So does anyone know if there are other differences between

the japanese "taxi" spec R33 RB20

and the "normal" R33 RB25

Clearly its 0.5 Lt bigger, but are there differneces to the gearbox / diffs / cooling ... that i should know about. Seems to be a common reported problem that R32 RB20's are crap as they aparently over heat, is that a known problem of the R33 RB20?

Ok, R33 GTS has the RB20E - SOHC head, good for 100kw or so. R33 GTS25 (note the '25') has the RB25DE, 147kw in type S form.

If you look at the VIN no on the firewall the GTS is HR33... whereas the GTS25 (and 25T) is ER33 (or ECR33 for HICAS equipped models).

There are a huge number of GTS's in NZ, but apparently not so many in Aussie from what I've heard.

As for overheating - not something I've heard of, I would guess that the 2.0L has to work harder as it is dragging round a whale designed for a 2.5L engine. However the 2.0L engine is quite a bit smaller than the 2.5, so the engine bay looks pretty empty and therefore cooling is better.

Gearboxes etc - the gearbox and diff type numbers are also listed on the firewall plate. I believe that the GTS and GTS25's are different in this respect, but not certain, if I remember I'll check what mine has and post it up.

this version of the rb20, as mentioned, is absolutely GUTLESS

remember that this engine makes less power than a locally-delivered R31 and in the heavy R33 chassis

yeah its a skyline, and looks a treat too, but if you are thinking you will get a little bit of power with this car you are wrong. don't be surprised if this car gets beaten by a stock pulsar at the "traffic light grand pirx"...

Oh it has tons of power, compared to my current 1984 4cyc 1.6L engine, but point taken. I just think if im still into skylines when im 25+ ill go all out with the turbo and all the rest....Im just happy its R33, manual, and not going to cost an arm and a leg. :rant:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I rememba tha first time I drove my baby home (a few months ago hehehe), I was so excited I spent an hour in the driveway just lookin at the body, engine and interior. :boinkcar:

I hope your 'line brings you as much joy as mine does fer me :(

hmmm, only 2L engine huh? I guess if u drive around an stick to the speed limit ppl won't be any wiser. U can be like "psshhh" I got a "skyline" it ain't worth the effort to race you! :talk2hand

besides, ur insurance is prolly HEAPS betta then mine

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, i too am hunting around for a skyline, have been reading up on engine numbers / car names and the like, trying to work out whats what.

Car: clicky

Is this car legit? Doesn't seem to match up with what iv been reading.

im totally in the dark on this :P any help will be appreciated

-

Hey Guys, i too am hunting around for a skyline, have been reading up on engine numbers / car names and the like, trying to work out whats what.

Car: clicky  

Is this car legit? Doesn't seem to match up with what iv been reading.

im totally in the dark on this :P any help will be appreciated

-

What's hard to understand about that car? Its a 1996 M-Spec with a few mods.

What's hard to understand about that car?  Its a 1996 M-Spec with a few mods.

Its listed as a HR33, so he's listed it wrong?

Thanks for your reply boj

--

Im totally in the dark, don't know a thing re skylines, so im learning :D Sorry for my stupidity :)

Its listed as a HR33, so he's listed it wrong?

Thanks for your reply boj

--

Im totally in the dark, don't know a thing re skylines, so im learning :P Sorry for my stupidity :P

Err, that's an interesting looking car. HR33 - yup, sounds like he has either got it wrong (H=2.0L engine, should be E for the 2.5), or it is really a GTS and he is trying to pass it off as a turbo. Ask for a pic of the engine bay/vin plate.

Also not so sure about it being a 96 - it has a S1 front, AFAIK all post 96 cars have the S2 front end. It does have a S2 wing, though that is a relatively common mod for S1 owners, also some '95 cars have S2 wings (and other S2 bits) from the factory and are known as S1.5.

Definitely ask for the VIN number and post it up here (or PM me), then either myself or someone else can use FAST to check out exactly what it is for ya.