SAU Community

URGENT auto trans died, please help

BlackR32

Hi guys,

Yesterday my auto transmission stopped changing gears and started slipping in which ever gear i could get it into except for first gear.

In first it feels totaly normal... I can't even get it to change gears properly when i select it.

Does anyone know what is wrong? or does any one have a gear box they could part with cheap?

My only car and I know bugger all about auto's :)(

If anyone can help that would be wonderful.

Thanks

Fluid is fine... there is a whining noise too... can no longer select 3 or over drive, is just feels like its in nuetral if I do... First gear is almost all I have left...

Any thing else you can think of?

Sounds like one of the bands isn't grabbing anymore. I'm not sure if they break or just slip badly. Did this happen gradually or all of a sudden?

They are pretty much the same transmission from R31 to R34 so an aut transmission place should be able to help you without too much expense.

Are you testing the fluid level when it's hot and the car is RUNNING.

I can only compare to my old VP but i had auto troubles, fluid level looked fine but I was checking it when the car was switched off, as soon as i did while it was running the dipstick came out DRY! :P

Turned out the pipes to the trans cooler where cracked and leaking (the power steering was leaking too so i thought all the dropped fluid was from that) after replacing them and top up it was right as rain.

have you been reving it in netral then dumping it into gear if you have then you are experiancing severe slippage

sometimes if you leave the car off for a while and let it cool down fully it will return to normal :P

• 2 weeks later...

im having similar problems with my sigma (shut up!)

start it, rev it moderately to get it to go and it shudders and hops forward a bit, with the sound of grinding, it goes for about 20metres then it disconnects, just like putting the clutch down in a manual. then you turn the motor off and 'let it cool'. then you start again and it goes for a while, then screws itself again. i havent really had a chnce to have a look under it, but i want to tighten the bands and change the fluid. but its at the bottom of a hill and my shed is at the top...might have to tow it back up.

can anyone help me on this? is it purely fluid related, or is it tearing itself apart?