SAU Community

Laws in regards to exhausts

Buddy Club R33

Hey,

Well I got a nice letter from the EPA the other day about my exhaust being too loud. When going for the test is it ok to have ANY exhaust system as long as it is under 90db? Are there any restrictions to what exhaust system you can have excluding the amount of db it produces?

Thanks

Hey,

Well I got a nice letter from the EPA the other day about my exhaust being too loud.  When going for the test is it ok to have ANY exhaust system as long as it is under 90db?  Are there any restrictions to what exhaust system you can have excluding the amount of db it produces?

Thanks

Providing the car is under 90db, you can have any exhaust, as long as it has a cat. Please keep in mind that if you put in a silencer at the end, it will be recorded that you run a silencer and you must keep it on at all times from then on.

Do what most people do, swap it for a stocker. A lot easier.

Im pretty sure they dont let you use a silencer at all unless it is fully welded in, look on the vicroads website, it covers everything in the modification guide. just do a search.

Any system is ok as long as it doesn't breach the 90db limit. But there are a couple of guidelines, i believe you are require to have a cat, and 2 mufflers, one under the car at the front and one at the rear. Be aware that epa and the police do use digital camera's now days to keep a record of ur shall we say our behaviour, i have recieved 2 fines at $511 dollars EACH. Having said this, on both occasions i was pulled over by a police officer who carried with him a portable db tester. For the record this was PETTET. lol. Swapping the rear muffler for a stocky just won't cut it no more. Sigh.