SAU Community

Wheels for Stagea?

StageaRS4

Thanks

Also just found out for WA - dunno about other States - that for cars that had stock rims 7" wide or less - it is illegal to have any aftermarket rim wider than 7" fitted. If your car comes standard with rims wider than 7" (eg GTRs) you cannot go any wider than that factory width.

So yeah - guess my 18s are defectable :rolleyes:

Thanks

Also just found out for WA - dunno about other States - that for cars that had stock rims 7" wide or less - it is illegal to have any aftermarket rim wider than 7" fitted.  If your car comes standard with rims wider than 7" (eg GTRs) you cannot go any wider than that factory width.

So yeah - guess my 18s are defectable :rolleyes:

In NSW it is the maximum rim width fitted to that chassis plus 1". So if a 260RS came with 9" rims, then we could have 10". It could be argued that a GTST is the same "chassis" as a GTR (R32/33/34) and therefore the same would apply. The rule for us is what the tyre placard shows on the car, so I made sure mine (when it was complied) had all of the possible tyre and rim sizes on the sticker. You can get new stickers, they do wear out and can get damaged, so you have to replace them.:idea:

Unfortunately in WA they apply the plus 1 plus 2 rule to diametre not width - which cant go wider than 7" unless the tyre placard says stock widths are wider than that (eg GTRs)... I'm gonna dig up the old wheel thread and post a longer detail of it there coz its related to the last reply there in January... so we'll have two similar threads - SK u got admin to close 1 of em?...

Here's a cut and paste of what i put in that one:

-------------------------------------

hi guys just a quick question about the size of rims whats the law say about how big and how wide you can go on a car before its not legal? Is there a way to get it certified by an engineer? I ask this as you see more and more pimped up 4wds with massive rims on them getting around  and i was sure you could only go up 2 inches is this true?

Hey Mcnamg

I actually dug up this old thread to post some frustrating new info I found ou - and coincidently it is also exactly related to your last posted question that no-one ever replied to!

Just confirmed with DPI here in Perth about approved rim sizes and got an aweful shock which means my current 18x8s are defective.

Dunno about in other states, but in WA this is the technical speil that if it got down to it they could defect you on:

Alternative road wheels are permitted under the following conditions :  

a. Rim width must not exceed the maximum rim width specified by the manufacturer by more than 25mm (1") (for passenger vehicles manufactured after 1st January 1973, the manufacturers rim width shall be taken as that specified on the tyre placard).  

In any event, rim width shall not exceed 177.8 mm (7") unless specified by the manufacturer as standard equipment for the vehicle in question. No increase in rim width is permitted for vehicles fitted with original equipment rims in excess of 177.8 mm (7") width.  

b. The wheel is contained completely within the body work of the vehicle which includes acceptable flares.  

c. The wheel does not foul any part of the body or suspension under all conditions of travel  

d. The vehicle handling is not impaired in any way.  

e. The tyre to rim fitment must be in accordance with the Tyre and Rim Association Manual.  

f. Rim diameters must be the same as specified by the manufacturer.  

g. The wheel must be one designed for use with the vehicle with respect to bolt pitch circle and wheel nut tapers  

h. The track must not be increased by more than 25mm (1") over the maximum specified by the manufacturer.etc.  

trac.gif  

i. All wheels must be the same size, profile and bolt pattern.  

j. Vehicles required to comply with Australian Design Rule 24, "Tyre & Rim Selection" must continue to comply with this Design Rule (contact the Department of Transport and Regional Services for more details).  

k. The fitment of so called "plus one" and "plus two" and tyres is acceptable providing :  

- the overall diameter of the large rims fitted with the lower profile tyres do not exceed the overall diameter  

-all tyres and rims fitted to the vehicle are of the same size and profile  

-with the exemption of item (f), the tyres and rims are in conformity with the requirements specified above in items (a) to (j).

l. Reducing the wheel track less than the original manufacturers specification is not permitted, as this may reduce vehicle stability.

So...

Stagea stock max width as per tyre placard is 7JJ... 7 inches... which mean NOTHING wider than 7" can legally be fitted.

The ridiculous thing is point "k"... you can go up "plus two" sizes (max 18" as per stagea stock max of 16") - but you still have to adhere to points a->j (excluding f) which mean they only approve 18 x 7 rims... joke - anyone know a rim thats made to 18x7 ???? They are mostly min 8" for 18s - and Ive found a few 18x17.5, but no 18x7s so far.

The theres the "all tyres and rims fitted to the vehicle are of the same size and profile "... so not allowed to have different width rims front and rear, or different width tyres front and rear... so no wider tyres on the back allowed!

What a load of crap... phoned Bob Jane and enquired - along the lines "yeah the govt has no idea - allowing to go up two sizes to 18" but no wider than 7" - go figure. We basically say unless you buy a rim with the width stamped on the outside - how can they tell because visually on inspection they only see the TYRE width - not the rim width"

So their advice was to not fit tyres to 18s wider than allowed on 7" rims by the ADR rules. Now just gotta find out what that widest width would be??

Stupid regulators