SAU Community

South Australian Vehicle ID Plates - back to regency!

traphead

Yep, you wouldn't be driving that car anymore if you had to go back.

That would suck!!  

What rwkw you got coming out of that thing HR31COUPE?

It's not all up and running yet but hoping for about 220rwkw with exhaust, fmic, power fc and a touch more boost.

I'm going to get it all engineered eventually as I've got larger breaks for it etc.

But it's just in the time before I can get that done that will be a worry.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yes top mount is EXTREMELY ILLEGAL hope to high hell that a pig doesn't ask you to pop ur bonnett, it is about the only thing they know is illegal, i know i've got a gt35r on mine and have been lucky to escape them. a few simple rules

1. dont cruise hindley, rundle thru adelaide on a saturday.

2. dont hang out in west tce servo's

3. dont smoke ur tyres on the road and don't speed or get smart with the cops ur not gonna win.

oh yes top mount is EXTREMELY ILLEGAL hope to high hell that a pig doesn't ask you to pop ur bonnett, it is about the only thing they know is illegal, i know i've got a gt35r on mine and have been lucky to escape them. a few simple rules  

1. dont cruise hindley, rundle  thru adelaide on a saturday.

2. dont hang out in west tce servo's

3. dont smoke ur tyres on the road and don't speed or get smart with the cops ur not gonna win.

GREAT! I get back from Queensland Thursday night and decide to go for a small drive with the mrs on friday night, i'm going down a really quiet street doing 60 and the mrs informs me its 50 so i slow down, then about 500 metres down and round a bend we pass a cop, he has a glance at me as i go past then decides to turn his lights on and pull me over and here i am going 'Oh Shit'!

Well i ended up getting defected for BOV and turbo timer.

the problem is being a BOV i have to go to regency, now my car isn't really modified but i've been told that the car has to be virtually standard or your screwed so do this mean i have to put stockies back on instead of the 18's? standard suspension even though mine is above legal height?

I'm really worried now after reading this thread!

GREAT! I get back from Queensland Thursday night and decide to go for a small drive with the mrs on friday night, i'm going down a really quiet street doing 60 and the mrs informs me its 50 so i slow down, then about 500 metres down and round a bend we pass a cop, he has a glance at me as i go past then decides to turn his lights on and pull me over and here i am going 'Oh Shit'!

Well i ended up getting defected for BOV and turbo timer.

the problem is being a BOV i have to go to regency, now my car isn't really modified but i've been told that the car has to be virtually standard or your screwed so do this mean i have to put stockies back on instead of the 18's? standard suspension even though mine is above legal height?

I'm really worried now after reading this thread!

if the little plate on the inside of the drivers door above the latch part states R16 then its ok to have 18's, but if its R15 then you can only have 17's.

from what ive seen of your car id say you shouldnt have to many problems. remember you have to have a high mount rear brake light, baby anchor points and stock air box. exhaust must be under 91db (mine is and ive got a 3.25inch cat back). i think the hight should be 35cm from wheel center to gard (straight up) might be wrong on this thow.

I'm not sure if you've all got 15yo imports or others imported under SEVS, but I've just been to Regency this morning and apparently 15 year old imports don't need to have compliance/identity plates.

We bought a 1989 R32 GTR from Sydney yesterday, which has been complied but never registered in Australia. Called Regency twice last week and they told us that if it had been complied, it would only need to have an ID check. Got there this morning and the inspector tells me that it should have a green compliance plate fitted and has to undergo a full roadworthy because it has no plate fitted.

I told him what we'd been told by Vehicle Standards about no plates and he got really crabby, gave me an aplication form for an exemption of compliance plates and told me to deal with them about it. I've gone over to Vehicle Standards who tell me that I do not require an exemption for compliance plates for a 15yo import. I am only required to show an engineer's report as proof of compliance and then undergo a full inspection, which they can't do for three weeks. The Vehicle Standards guy then takes me back over to the inspector who he blasts for not knowing the rules re not issuing compliance plates for 15yos.

The guys down there don't know what they are doing! Wonder if we'll get a letter at a later date too?

so, your saying that you dont need to have an exemption from an ID plate and you dont need to get one fitted??

the letter that we have recieved is an exemption from having a complince plate so that if a cop looks in the engine bay and see's the japan ID plate he can't have a go or book us or something stupid. but the letter is only valid untill we are asked to come in and get one fitted, when SA gets the plates made up which for sum strange reason they cannot do at this time.

what i want to know is why cant they do it now, or is it as sugested a little game to scare us into not illegaly moding our cars.

Thats what the Vehicle Standards guy said.

The inspector gave me an Application for Exemption from Compliance Plates form and told me to fill it out and take it to Vehicle Standards.

When I did that, the Vehicle Standards guy told me that the inspector was wrong and I didn't need the exemption forms. He said if the car had been a Commodore or other non import it would have required the exemption. Instead he gave me Instructions 71 and 71A which are apparently for 15yo and older imports.

The Vehicle Standards guy said all that is needed for the inspection is an engineer's report to prove that it has been complied, no plate required. Who knows, will probably get another story when I go back for the inspection in a few weeks...

Thats what the Vehicle Standards guy said.  

The inspector gave me an Application for Exemption from Compliance Plates form and told me to fill it out and take it to Vehicle Standards.  

When I did that, the Vehicle Standards guy told me that the inspector was wrong and I didn't need the exemption forms.   He said if the car had been a Commodore or other non import it would have required the exemption.  Instead he gave me Instructions 71 and 71A which are apparently for 15yo and older imports.  

The Vehicle Standards guy said all that is needed for the inspection is an engineer's report to prove that it has been complied, no plate required.  Who knows, will probably get another story when I go back for the inspection in a few weeks...

Thats wierd as, when I got my car from NSW, it was already complied and registered over there. I bought it back and went to do the id check at sturt because I thought that was all I had to do. The inspector there noticed the lack of compliance plate and game me the exemption forms. I called up regency and queried whether an engineers cert would suffice instead of having a full inspection and they simplt told me no. They must go over the car.

There seems to be alot of BS going on down there, everyone has conflicting opinions instead of everyone actually knowing the rules and regs. Eg. mine got passed without having a high level brake light, but got knocked back because the window washer jets were chrome which was a standard option on that car.

All I can say is good luck and hopefully you actually get someone who knows what they are talking about.

nope, there is no such thing. They have no clearly defined standards, and it seems you just have to hope you get the right inspector, as some of them just want to screw you to make a point - even though they have absolutly no idea what they are doing.

What I REALLY want to do is 'A Current Affair' style tactic where we take the same car back 3 times and see what things are said each time - like when they catch dodgy mechanics ripping people off for the same problem. That would highlight Regency's absolute disregard and poor knowledge of what is actually legal and not legal, as we all well know it is different for every single person that goes to Regency.

But, no-one is interested in the issue, as we are such a niche group, and we are probably all HOONS anyhow.

Thats wierd as, when I got my car from NSW, it was already complied and registered over there. I bought it back and went to do the id check at sturt because I thought that was all I had to do. The inspector there noticed the lack of compliance plate and game me the exemption forms. I called up regency and queried whether an engineers cert would suffice instead of having a full inspection and they simplt told me no. They must go over the car.

That was what the inspector told me too. He said that if it didn't have a compliance plate, whether it had been previously registered or not in another state, it would require a full inspection. It is was post 1989 and had a plate, no inspection would have been required.

He then gave me the exemption forms which according to Vehicle Standards aren't required for 15yo imports anymore, only non imported cars without compliance plates. The Vehicle Standards guy then told me to diregard the exemption form and gave me Forms 71 and 71a which I have to fill out and present with the engineer's report at the inspection.

It is so true that you have to get the right inspector, the guy I got had been away on leave for 4 weeks and claimed that he didn't know the new rules when the Vehicle Standards guy told him he was doing the wrong thing.

if the little plate on the inside of the drivers door above the latch part states R16 then its ok to have 18's, but if its R15 then you can only have 17's.  

from what ive seen of your car id say you shouldnt have to many problems. remember you have to have a high mount rear brake light, baby anchor points and stock air box.  exhaust must be under 91db (mine is and ive got a 3.25inch cat back). i think the hight should be 35cm from wheel center to gard (straight up) might be wrong on this thow.

i dont think i have i high mount brake light! Great!

I'm pretty sure my exhaust will be fine, i guess i'd better try and take my boost controller out, i'm in the process of trying to sell my 18's and find some standard wheels! This is the biggest head f*%$# and to make things worse i wasn't even doing anything wrong!

the letter is to do with them changing the law if you read it carefully it says no further inspection is required you should have received to more pages with the letter that states that your car meets the standards for roadworthiness

the letter is to do with them changing the law if you read it carefully it says no further inspection is required you should have received to more pages  with the letter that states that your car meets the standards for roadworthiness

Yeah, I realise the letter says that, but we all know that when they are fitting the plate they are going to be looking for stuff that isn't quite standard whether they are supposed to be or not.

I honestly think they get joy from taking peoples cars off the road

i got the same letter aswell nearly the day after i had lowered it and put some rims on, but as far as i know regency dont have the legal right to defect a car they are a seperate entity to the police, inless the police are waiting for you there i dont think you would have anything to worry about.

i got the same letter aswell nearly the day after i had lowered it and put some rims on, but as far as i know regency dont have the legal right to defect a car they are a seperate entity to the police, inless the police are waiting for you there i dont think you would have anything to worry about.

i soooo hope your right.

Mate you are kidding arnt you?? Regency have the power to defect cars, why when you take a car there for a full inspection 9 times outta 10 does it come out with a yellow sticker on it??? (or more yellow stickers if you've already been defected) Regency is like the head judge mate, they interprete the laws as they see it.....Don't kid yourself :Bang:

Mate you are kidding arnt you??  Regency have the power to defect cars, why when you take a car there for a full inspection 9 times outta 10 does it come out with a yellow sticker on it??? (or more yellow stickers if you've already been defected)  Regency is like the head judge mate, they interprete the laws as they see it.....Don't kid yourself  :Bang:

Spot on, Regency have more power than the police do when it comes to keeping cars off the road. When I put my car through it wasn't currently on defect but left there with a few. They did me for really stupid stuff too, like having chrome window washer jets which are standard on my car, yet on my dads hilux the whole front end is practically chrome so sometimes I don't understand their logic.