SAU Community

can u reset a stock ecu?

henzie

y the negative,i tried this same thing my 32, turned the ignition off ,disconnected the positive(red) battery wire ,pumped the brake a few times n didnt feel any different,does it only work with the negative terminal being removed?

To answer the question.

The stock ECU is a learning ECU. It will adapt to certain conditions (such as fuel types, sensor performance etc etc). An example of how this works is my stock Air Flow meter started to die on me, but the stock ecu some how compensated for it. When I put the powerFC in the AFM had to be replaced.

When you reset the ECU your car will start the learning process again. Its worth doing on a car thats just been imported as the fuel is different in australia.

I would also leave the car with no battery attached for more than a few seconds.. count to 30 in french then re-connect the battery. :cheers:

would..

the ECU should have a series of decent sized capacitors to filter power into its memory.. Leave the battery off for 10 seconds, pump the brake pedal a few times and you should be right.

If you have been driving the car in australia for more than a few weeks then this whole exercise would probably be pointless as the car would have adjusted to aussie conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

with pumping the brake pedal with the brake go all lose like it does when you drain the brake fluid?

or is something else supposed to tell you that you've pressed the pedal enough???

nothing will happen to the brake pedals feel. My pressing the brake pedal the lights will come on which will drain any excess power in the car (in theory).. You could just as easily turn on your interior light, or your head lights.

There's a thread about this in one of the other sections...

You can also reset it by shorting 2 of the pins on the connector under the interior fuse box (drivers side)... Search for the thread... it's all there.

Turn key to acc, short, watch the check engine light flash a sequence... acc off, turn key, start engine.. ecu will be reset. No battery terminal crap and no loss of stereo settings etc...

**edit: this is for r33 s2's... don't know if it's the same for s1's...

• 3 weeks later...