SAU Community

Is it NECCESSARY to run RB25 Harness in R32 Rb25 swap??

Hey guys,

My swap is 95% finished. It is a RB25DET swapped into an R32 GTS-T. Right now it is using the stock RB20 harness.

The main thing is finding a suitable computer.

For now, I am just running a Z32 QU ECU (94+ NA). I am only driving it to get around and obviously driving very carefully and NOT boosting at all.

Right now I am considering these options.

1.) Reprogramming a Z32 ecu to the specs of my motor. And wire up VVT to work.

2.) Running a stock Rb25det ecu (and ppl recommend the rb25 engine harness).

In both these options, is it required for me to run an rb25 engine harness?

What is the reason behind running the rb25 harness anyways? Can't I just wire everythign up manually?

Can anyone shed some light here :confused:

The R32 harness plug won't fit the R33 ECU. So at the very least you will have to buy an R33 harmess plug. From experience the only way I could buy one was with the harness attached. No import dissmantler would sell me the plug on its own, well they would, but they charged me the same as if I had bought the whole harness. So I figured I might as well use what I paid for.

You won't be able to get the VVT working without using an ECU that has the map/logic/program for it. There is no map and no output pin on the R32 ECU for VVT. Hence the need for a VVT capable ECU (eg; R33GTST). Tip, don't get an auto ecu.

The alternative is to forget the VVT, remove it, stick a pair of adj camshaft pulleys on. You will need to replace the inlet camshaft with a non VVT one. RB25DE or RB20DET inlet cams work fine, or there is aftermarket non VVT of course. Then rechip an R32GTST ECU, that's what I did (RB30/25DE) and it worked fine.

Hope that helps:cheers:

How about reprogramming a Z32 (300zx ecu) ?

Im running a 300zx AFM etc.

Will the z32 ecu be able to be programmed with VVT??

As far as I know Z32's never had VVT, so the circuitry won't even be there in the ECU, neither will the logic/map/program. From memory (it's been a few years since I saw one) the Z32 ECU is basically the same as the R32 ECU.:P

604cefiro,

Last weekend I installed an RB25DET in my R32 and wired up the RB25 loom and it runs with the factory computer. This option enables factory control of the VVT and boost solenoid etc. You can then run the RB25 power FC if you desire or a plug in Haltech (I'm told it should be available in the coming weeks), wolf etc.

Don't know what it costs to burn a new chip for the R32 RB20's down south but Chiptorque at the Gold Coast charge $600 + tuning (about $700 in total). This is about half the cost of a Power FC. All depends on your budget.

Hope this helps,

Ben

• 3 years later...

I just got my RB25DET (series 2) and I was hoping you could help me with some questions.

My Skyline is non turbo so it will be a big step with the RB25.

Now then, my first question is about the gearbox mounts, I hear they aren't the same and I will also have problems with the speedo meter. What do you know about this? Can I use the Xmember of the R33 ??

The second is about the harness, everyone that has ever swapped an engine told me that the harness is the most difficult part of the swap. Do you have the diagram of the R32 and the R33 (still can't find it for the R32) and some pointers on how this is done??

Hope to get a reply from you soon

Carlos Rudolph