SAU Community

Help! Looking For "Perfect BOV Sound"

IMO the best sounding BOV are the Greddy Type S' venting to atmo. I can't stand that NFSU chirp the SSQV makes. I have an Apexi Twin Chamber and it makes the big 'Whooosh' sound but I'm not that fond of it.

lmfao *grabs the badge and pins it to my shirt*

i have definately heard one before mate, i wasn't talking about when it is wide open on full boost and it roars, i was talking about on gearchanges.

maybe its just my old car and my mates car that do it and all the rest in the world don't but they distinctly made a segmented rather then continuous noise. on my mates car you could hear the bov was continously open while the wastegate "sounded" like it opened and shut a few times.

Jamie

Thats a wastegate.

:fight!:

hmmm hks ssqv sounds like a bird dying or getting sucked into the turbo or something, i don't like it hey.:whatsthat  

for the, as you decribed it, perfect bov sound

1. buy a vl turbo

2. make sure its an auto

3. get the biggest bov you can find

4. get a fmic so everyone can see your cars turbo

5. get a pod filter

6. tighten the bov as much as possible

7. sit at traffic lights/pedestrian crossings/intersection and hold your foot on the accelerator and brake at the same time and then back off the accelerator.

8. look around to make sure everyone is looking at you

9. take off doing a sick one wheeler :burnout:

Disclaimer:This is not intended be provoking everyone with vl turbos, only the ones that do shit like this. :sly:

PS back to the point of the thread.

You can get the "fluttering" noise too if you have an external wastegate, different gates make different noises when you back off and some seem to make an almost fluttering noise as you describe.

The bov fluttering noise everyone says is bad as its reversion but my old 33 made the fluttering noise as i had no bov at all and the hks turbo on it had no shaft play last time i checked and still worked well.

Jamie

No offence but that would just make whoever does that look like an idiot! Like seriously, every1 might jst be looking at u weird and prolly have"as if" in their head. + HKS SSQV has the most unique sound rather than just Pshhhh.

No offence but that would just make whoever does that look like an idiot! Like seriously, every1 might jst be looking at u weird and prolly have"as if" in their head. + HKS SSQV has the most unique sound rather than just Pshhhh.

i was being sarcastic, seems like i am not good at if people thought i was serious :Oops:

yeah everyone has their own opinion and tastes, lucky they do otherwise we'd all have the same cars :rofl:

Originally Posted by «Cyph3r»

lmfao *grabs the badge and pins it to my shirt*

i have definately heard one before mate, i wasn't talking about when it is wide open on full boost and it roars, i was talking about on gearchanges.

maybe its just my old car and my mates car that do it and all the rest in the world don't but they distinctly made a segmented rather then continuous noise. on my mates car you could hear the bov was continously open while the wastegate "sounded" like it opened and shut a few times.

Jamie

Thats a wastegate.

:fight!:

What the continous noise on gearchange rather then the segmented one???

so i am wrong again? damn.

so describe this sound.. or record it and attach here.

it could just be that the bov wasn't able to vent enough.. and therefore even though it was venting everything it could, there was still some reversion through the turbo..

I really can't see how a wastegate that needs say 15psi of pressure to open could close and open on gearchanges.

I don't see how there can be fluctuating pressure in the exhaust manifold/turbine area during gearchanges which go from 0 to somehting above the spring pressure of the wastegate to cause it to open and shut.

In my old car it was reversion as i had no bov but i thought the wastegate was also attributing to the noise :confused:

I also can't understand it so i'm probably wrong but i have heard the noise from my mates old datto as well that had an external gate and bov and from a few other cars in videos that had external gates. I am not sure if it had anything to do with the external gates but i just assumed it did.

Sorry if i have mislead/confused anyone

Jamie

i was being sarcastic, seems like i am not good at if people thought i was serious :Oops:  

yeah everyone has their own opinion and tastes, lucky they do otherwise we'd  all have the same cars :rofl:

Lol hahah alright then but i cnt tell whether ur being sarcastic or not its the net! lol yep 33 rocks in between the toy and the big car which is the 32 and the 34 XP

...I really can't see how a wastegate that needs say 15psi of pressure to open could close and open on gearchanges.

I don't see how there can be fluctuating pressure in the exhaust manifold/turbine area during gearchanges which go from 0 to somehting above the spring pressure of the wastegate to cause it to open and shut.

Its quite simple really - if your boost pressure to the wastegate comes off the compressor housing or intercooler piping and the bov doesnt lift (adjustment) on gear change (or no bov at all) you will get a pressure increase in the turbine housing from reversion - this may cause the wastegate to flutter open and shut as the pressure fluctuates in the turbine housing. Its actually not that uncommon, and can be very obvious when you have an external gate. My old 33 did it with a screamer and 3037 fitted.

Its quite simple really - if your boost pressure to the wastegate comes off the compressor housing or intercooler piping and the bov doesnt lift (adjustment) on gear change (or no bov at all) you will get a pressure increase in the turbine housing from reversion - this may cause the wastegate to flutter open and shut as the pressure fluctuates in the turbine housing. Its actually not that uncommon, and can be very obvious when you have an external gate. My old 33 did it with a screamer and 3037 fitted.

Sounds like what mine did, i also had screamer pipe off the external gate and hks gt3037s.

maybe i wasn't wrong then. :(

Jamie

just got a hks ssqv on my r32 it does the chirp thing on full boost but it flutters a bit on low is this ok r could there be something wroung?

thanks all :rave:

just got a hks ssqv on my r32 it does the chirp thing on full boost but it flutters a bit on low is this ok r could there be something wroung?  

thanks all :rave:

It flutters at low PSI because there not enough pressure to open up the BOV

Fluttering can also occur if theres too much pressure & 1 BOV cant vent enough air out quickly enough.

++++

Greetings All.

I was just wondering...

How do you get the fluttering noise from your BOV...? What sort of BOV do you recommend for this type of noise....?

Cheers,

--Tonba

++++

Your answer to that would be....

Greddy Type S , Adjustable sexc blow off vavle.

They are my favourite one of the pack!

Quite expensive, but Greddy's engineering is leading performance.

Your answer to that would be....

Greddy Type S , Adjustable sexc blow off vavle.

They are my favourite one of the pack!

Quite expensive, but Greddy's engineering is leading performance.

$250 at autobarn ATM, if you're quick. only a few left in stock in the country! then they are no more! for less that $350ish anyway