SAU Community

engineering certificate of exhaust

fufubear65

Are you sure that you need to?

To what extent can I modify my vehicle?

Engine modification

1. Original engine modified

Modifications to the original engine are permitted provided the following conditions are met:

• normal engine reconditioning within manufacturer’s limits is permitted;

• modifications must not affect compliance with any emission or noise related ADRs;

• all emission control equipment must be retained and functional;

• If the modifications result in a substantial increase in power, then the adequacy of other components to

carry the increased power (brake performance, vehicle controllability, suspension systems, etc) as well as

the vehicle’s continued compliance with the applicable ADRs must be addressed.

the short answer is i don't know

the story is yesterday (sunday) my girlfriend got pulled up by the cops. they asked her if there is an engineering cert for the exhaust - she said she didn't know. they asked her to pop up the bonnet and check out my enginer. i got no mods there so ok.

then she got the bloke to call me and he told me i needed to go to get an engineering cert for the exhaust (turbo back).

do i need one - whats a good way to tell the police i don't need one (if indeed i don't?)

Theres a list of signatories here:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...s/vsi/vsi15.pdf

I would still question whether a signatory will really be that interested, and is really needed. I'd think that are only going to visually check whether you have a cat and then do a noise test. Seems like an expensive way to go about some simple tasks.

Unless the officer has given you a formal (ie written) instruction to do something, i'd be tempted not to bother doing anything. Maybe find somewhere that will do the noise test for free or a small charge just for peace of mind.

I'd be asking how some of the guys who get defected for noise get them cleared?? It might be cheaper to just take the defect then get it cleared.

An engineers cert will give you a bit more piece of mind for the future and should lessen your chances of being pinged again tho.

Talk to the Police Ethics unit and make a complaint. This crap will stop straight away. As long as you pass all emmissions then there should be no legality problems.

Contact the coppa and ask him to provide an order that requires the eng certificate so you can use it against him when you talk to the ethics unit, the state police ombudsman, your local member of parliament, the police minister etc.

Time to educate yourselves and take the fight to them.