SAU Community

where is alternator wire?

madmoomoo

Hey folks,

I'm suffering from a terribly annoying noise coming from the alternator. It's been there ever since I bought the skyline. I believe that this can happen when you have your input wires too close to power cables. So, I went and bought one of those noise cancelling things from jaycar and I was told to put this between the alternator and the battery, closest to the battery side.

I'm driving a series I R33 ('93) and the battery is in the boot. The only wire connected to the +ve side of the battery comes from the box next to it.

My question is this: Where should I be putting this device in?

At the moment I have it wired between battery and fuses, going into the amps, but it doesn't really do anything. I tried putting it in between the battery and this little box thing next to it, but the car didn't even start, so that quickly changed....

(In case I've confused anyone with what "noise cancelling device" I'm talking about, it's a cylindrical shaped thing with a positive cable coming out each end and a negative wire coming out one side. I'm told that that it doesn't matter with direction it's facing when wired, as long as it is grounded.)

If anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated - even though I can't hear the whinning with loud music, when it's down low it drives me up the wall!

Thanks in advance!

The noise I get is in every gear. I hadn't really thought of putting it under the bonnet. I think I remembered the guy in jaycar saying to go as close to the battery as possible. If I had the choice I'd rather install it in the boot rather than in the engine bay. If need be I guess I could put it up front.

Anyone got any further ideas or info?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...