SAU Community

Intercooler Gts-t

woolls

Hi,

I have just brought a 98 GTS-T, I was thinking about buying an intercooler for it, but was told I would be wasting my money. Is this true? I am New to the turbo world and don't know too much about them.

thanks

Leigh

Intercoolers or FMIC (frount mount intercooler) work by cooling the air that is heated by your turbo as it spins close to 100,000 rpm. Cooler air is more dense thus creates more power. The advantage in replacing the stock (piss small) intercooler is the reduction in intake temperatures allows for you to increase the boost using a bleed valve or electronic boost controller. This increases power however a FMIC is generally considered to be best left until a decent cat back exaust system and pod/panel filter has been added. Well thats my understanding on it all anyway. :)

It has aftermarket exaust and filter, Would it be a waste of money buying a intercooler. i have also been told that doing this will create to much turbo lag.

thanks

No way this will be a waste of money.. the device is actually intended for cooling.. Any device, no matter where the application is, if something is gettin cooled, it benfits!!!

From where are you gettin that info from???

Do buy the front mount for sure!!!

hmm the front mount wont create lag at all.. If im wrong, someone correct me..

yeah definetly get the front mount.

My intercooler added a little bit of lag if i remember correctly.. im guessing they should because theres alot more piping for the air to go through ?? mighta just been me though ?

No way this will be a waste of money.. the device is actually intended for cooling.. Any device, no matter where the application is, if something is gettin cooled, it benfits!!!

Misunderstanding there. Just saying if he did have exaust and Pod (which it turns out he has) a FMIC would be the next logical step. At no point did i say this is waste of money infact far from it. Espessially when coolers are getting so much cheaper.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=79523

:(

Misunderstanding there. Just saying if he did have exaust and Pod (which it turns out he has) a FMIC would be the next logical step. At no point did i say this is waste of money infact far from it. Espessially when coolers are getting so much cheaper.

uh?? im confused now.. i know u didnt say its a waste of money.. im tellin the guy who made the thread, that its not a waste of money.. i dunno im confused now..

ANyways my opinion is to buy it, as it will help!!

uh?? im confused now.. i know u didnt say its a waste of money.. im tellin the guy who made the thread, that its not a waste of money.. i dunno im confused now..

ANyways my opinion is to buy it, as it will help!!

I am the Guy who made the thread. Your help has been good. and yes I will buy a cooler.

thanx :D

Edited by woolls

While we on the topic about Intercoolers, Anyone knows a shop were they give a good price on coustom pipin?? i dont wanna spend big money on my piping kit,,,

Please recommend place where to get a good intercooler for a good price. I am also looking to do the same mods. (POD, Intercooler, 2 Stage Boost Controller & dump pipe)

wools - you found a place yet!! maybe we can get a discount if we get both our cars done from the same place.

I found a place but the guy wants to charge me 5Gs for all the above. 2G for intercooler, which I think is TOO MUCH??

Edited by harryg

An intercooler makes a decent upgrade but if you are afraid of increasing lag and spending loads of money you could go for a second hand R34 GT-t intercooler. It is a straight bolt on upgrade to the R33 gtst but flows about twice as much. You can pick them up on the forums very cheap too.