SAU Community

R32 4 Door Intrusion Bars

Hey All

Anyone fitted intrusion bars to a 4 door r32? easy/hard? I'm waiting for the car to get here and just trying to get some tips prior. Also the anchor points on the parcel shelf do they have to go where the speakers go like in the R33's. It's one of the last cars to come through the old 15 year rule, so it only needs basic stuff which is good

Later. Drift R

post-11567-1125920719.jpg

post-11567-1125920775.jpg

I got my side intrusion bars done by a compliance workshop. From what i understand it requires an engineers sign off, so best not to muck around. i woudn't recommend making your own intrusion bars. If you can source some ADR approved intrusion bars, that is a lot easier.

There is an article on ADR-ing a 15 yo import yourself at Autospeed. It's for a 180sx, but I would guess it would be similar for both. You need a membership to access the entire article, but I will copy the relevant bits:

"Side Intrusion Bars

Most Japanese-market vehicles are not equipped with side intrusion bars that meet ADR standards - and the Nissan 180SX is no exception.

In the case of the 180SX, we were never going to attempt to design, fabricate and install the intrusion bars at home – a lack of facilities, equipment and design knowledge decided this. Instead, we farmed the job out to Best Enterprises.

Best Enterprises take the approach of bolting and riveting the intrusion bars into place. This eliminates the need to remove and repaint part of the door, which is normal when the bars are welded into place. This photo shows the pre-fabricated intrusion bars that Best Enterprises employ.

2307_14lo.jpg

As seen here, the process begins by removing the door trims and plastic weather shields.

2307_27lo.jpg

Next, the ‘guts’ of the door must be removed to make space for the installation of the intrusion bars. The door lock, top trim, window and its electric up/down mechanism are removed.

2307_13lo.jpg

The intrusion bars used by Best Enterprises can be fitted through the gap in the top of the door (where the glass normally slides through). In this photo, the bar has been slid down into the door and is being manoeuvred into approximate position.

2307_16lo.jpg

The forward end of the intrusion bar is secured using high tensile bolts. This photo shows the holes being drilled through the end of the door. (A fiddly process!)

2307_8lo.jpg

Here are the two holes drilled and filed clean ready to accept the leading end of the intrusion bar.

2307_5lo.jpg

The leading end of the intrusion bar is aligned with the door holes and a pair of high tensile bolts is used to secure it into position. Once these bolts are tightened to Best Enterprises’ torque specification, the trailing end of the bar can be installed.

2307_4lo.jpg

When the trailing end of the intrusion bar is in its appropriate position, a series of three holes are drilled through the door and the intrusion bar’s trailing mounting flange. These holes are spaced exactly the same distance apart so that in the event of a side impact, each rivet shares a similar load.

2307_7lo.jpg

Once the holes are drilled, 3/16 inch rivets are used to secure the trailing end off the intrusion bar to the door. In this photo, the intrusion bar is being hold in position while the serious-looking rivet gun is brought into action.

2307_25lo.jpg

And here’s the intrusion bar installed.

2307_12lo.jpg

The same installation process is then applied to the opposite door.

Engineer Certification:

Once the intrusion bars have been fitted, the installation must be inspected by an accredited engineer. This is to certify that the intrusion bars meet specific strength requirements.

As seen here, the engineer will typically take photographs of the intrusion bar fitment. In addition, the engineer will also sign a "Certificate of Inspection with Respect to Australian Design Rules" that confirms all intrusion bar related standards are met.

2307_9lo.jpg

Best Enterprises employs Australian Technology Pty Ltd for the approval of their intrusion bars. Australian Technology charges a certification fee, which Best Enterprises includes in the final charge for the intrusion bars.

Total cost is AUD$550."

Credit:

Best Enterprises +61 8 8262 6055

Autospeed www.autospeed.com

It's not a skyline, but it might still be helpful. The cost would be roughly double what they have quoted there for a 4 door vehicle. I was charged $1200 for the complete ADR-ing of my 4 door skyline, including fuel filler neck, seatbelts, intrusion bars, mirrors etc. That was through Autoworx in Western Australia

Edited by Big Rizza