SAU Community

Supercharging Rb20

Youngy

Since everybody goes for the turbo engine swap, i thought i would do something different and supercharge my RB20de, the only thing is i dont know much about supercharging, things like will i need an intercooler? or a bov? or a waste gate? i havnt got the slightest idea. if any body can enlighting me on this topic i would very much appreciate it. + if anybody has any spare dash parts for the R32, give us a buzz, you might have what im looking for

Edited by Youngy

Adding a supercharger u can put an intercooler on it, and you can put a bov on it, except it not quite the same, its more so a bypass valve, does similar work but different name and minimal noise. Perhaps capa performance could help you with sizes of supercharger for you RB, you may need to look at your compression ratios to run it better, they should give you a good understanding and a rough power figure

it could certainly be done, but there is a lot to think about before you start. i'd use an Eaton M90 blower, don't worry about dropping the compression. fit large duration camshafts to get the head breathing better and drop your boost levels. then there's the hard parts: mounting and driving the blower. it's all custom work, and you either do it yourself or get a workshop to do it ($$$) properly.

use a cooler, it can't hurt.

use a bypass valve, not a BOV. if you're serious about doing it i can explain what this is to you, but you don't sound very serious about it at the moment. it's a much bigger job than you think.

do a search on some of the thread me and a couple of other guys did on supercharging RB's. We did came up with some good ideas, but in the end decided its cheaper, and easier to swap in a turbo engine. Especially on an RB20.

We figured it'd be easiest to use a supercharger off a Toyota 1G-GZE as its perfectly suited to the layout of an RB engine.