SAU Community

R32 - Advise On Turbos, 2/4wd, Insurence

HarqsR32

Hey Guys - Im finally selling my crappy Lancer, so Im hoping to get an R32, the car I wouldf gotten if my parents hadnt told me I couldnt get a Skyline in the first place. nah they didn't pay for the car but they do pay for the insurrence. my friend told me about SAU so I was hoping I could get some advise from you guys. I dont see many R32 for sale, so wots the best way to get one of these? My freind said to go to Melbourne cos thers lots more cars there and cheaper too. most ones I see here are around the 13 grand mark. How much shuold I pay for a nice R32? It dosnt have to have many modded up parts - maybe just exhast and rims. Also, I was told that GTS4 thats the 4WD version has better handling but is heaps slower than 2WD because of the extra diff, is this right? It has to be manual, but I don't mind if it is 2 door or 4 door.

Does any one know how much insurance is is for a turbo, and how much for a non turbo? I'm 20. Ive been told that non turbo is about $1000 cheaper for full comprihensve insurrence. Any advise any of you guys have about performance on 2WD v 4WD, coup or 4 door, or turbo v non turbo would be great. Also, what problems shuold I look for when buying a R32 - are ther any problems I shuold look for? thanks Hussain

for insurance check out general section on here, there is a rather large thread with all the info you need. Looking to buy one, check out the classifieds on here also.

2wd vs 4wd, just go with what you prefer. City driving makes little use of 4wd. If you go for non turbo ur only getting it for the look of the car. If you get one you'll soon sell it and get a turbo.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers,

Paul

Hey Guys - Im finally selling my crappy Lancer, so Im hoping to get an R32, the car I wouldf gotten if my parents hadnt told me I couldnt get a Skyline in the first place. nah they didn't pay for the car but they do pay for the insurrence. my friend told me about SAU so I was hoping I could get some advise from you guys. I dont see many R32 for sale, so wots the best way to get one of these? My freind said to go to Melbourne cos thers lots more cars there and cheaper too. most ones I see here are around the 13 grand mark. How much shuold I pay for a nice R32? It dosnt have to have many modded up parts - maybe just exhast and rims. Also, I was told that GTS4 thats the 4WD version has better handling but is heaps slower than 2WD because of the extra diff, is this right? It has to be manual, but I don't mind if it is 2 door or 4 door.

Does any one know how much insurance is is for a turbo, and how much for a non turbo? I'm 20. Ive been told that non turbo is about $1000 cheaper for full comprihensve insurrence. Any advise any of you guys have about performance on 2WD v 4WD, coup or 4 door, or turbo v non turbo would be great. Also, what problems shuold I look for when buying a R32 - are ther any problems I shuold look for? thanks Hussain

Welcome to SAU Hussain.

You should find all the info your after and more on this site.

To a few of your questions quickly.

Insurance for a turbo compared to a NA R32 will only vary about $50-$300 with most of the insurance companies. When i spoke to Juat Cars about insurance there was only a $80 difference between turbo and NA with no mods.

Its the modifications that you will start to pay for and the excess (eg: extra turbo excess being under 25) and any other modifications to the car.

Its best to ring around and have a chat to a few places to get some ball park figures, that way you will know what you will bo looking at for insrance costs.

Have a read of http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=12142 it may help to answer some of your questions more.

As for a GTS/t vs a GTS4 it all comes down to preference really and what you want your intentions for the car are? EG: daily driver, weekend cruiser, club/track car (hill climbs, sprint days etc) drags or just a drift pig.

As Paul already mentioned if your thinking of buying a R32 NA then you have to answer yourself a question, WHY???

If its for the looks then there are plenty of other cars that you could buy that will peform just as well mechanically, probably cost less to buy and to run and maintain and insurance wouldn't be as expensive considering your age as well.

No doubt you will ge tbored with it withing a week and want to buy a turbo R32 anyway so if your dead set keen then i would just start off with a stock turbo and go from there (modifications can always be done and all in good time :D )

There are plenty of cars around withing Australia so you have to decide if you want to go through a dealer/importer or buy one privatley.

Have a read of http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=35129 if you do decide to buy privately.

You are going to pay about 12K for a nice clean R32 no matter what and dont be fooled into thinking you will saved thousands by going to melbourne to buy one. YES you will save money but if you do your research and dont rush into buying the first car you fall in love with :D you will pick up a bargain.

Like http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=94598

if you need a hand at all (if your from south) then give me a holla as im only to hapy to help you out. I have a car you may also be interested in as well so let me know if you want to come check it out and i can take you for a ride.

Cheers B

I have sent you a PM.