SAU Community

Killing Misfire: Splitfires Worth The $$$?

About to change my coilpacks on my 96 R33 GTST to try and get rid of the misfire at high revs on boost problem (5-7k for me.. higher than most).

Everyone talks about the Splitfire brand of packs. Looks like they would cost about $550ish delivered. A guy at Autobarn told me coilpacks can be bought for the Skyline that would be $250 total. My question is: are the Splitfires so much better in any respect? e.g. design, or longevity, or performance? On the thread about doing home-grown fixes:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...356&hl=missfire

it looks like ppl are filling particular areas on the coilpacks with sealants. I'm wondering if the Splitfires have particularly better design than the stock coils and if that is what ur paying for. For obvious reasons, I dont want to change my stock coilpacks for new ones that aren't up to snuff or "el cheapo" dodgy 5h1t. So why does everyone rave about Splitfires? What else can they be compared to. I'm willing to pay the 550 or so, but only if they are the best, or very near to. The main thing is, I want to eliminate the coils 100% as the cause of the misfire.

And another thing, out of all the ppl who had the misfire problem and replaced the coilpacks to fix it, how many found it actually fixed it (COMPLETELY)? And how many were ripping their hair out after cos it wasn't the cause? Nearly poll worthy, but it wouldn't be very useful really... just to see the "odds" of new coilpacks fixing ur car hahah But I'm getting really annoyed now with farting around with the car instead of just driving it! I'm gonna fix this car if it kills me, sends me broke, or drives me insane! :P

People rave because they work and broken old stock coils don't. They are pretty much the only ones apart from Nissan genuine and they are cheaper.

I don't know what you get for $250 - maybe 2 second hand coil packs...

If you can fix them with the suggestions from that thread then that's great but if not they need replacing.

You can run a non-protruding electrode plug similar to the race plugs we use.....but........they fuel up very easily and dont like to not be run without a bit off boost up their bum. Easy fix.....run splitfires......we do on the street and have no dramas.

well if your STD Nissan ones have packed it in.. why replace them with the std ones?? (and to make it worse 2nd hand!!! so they're not even brand new)

Splitfires are the way to go