SAU Community

Removing the ETC system is it worth having holes and marks?

So after being Skyline less for almost 10 years i finally came back to the family and bought myself a Skyline now it has an ETC system which is the Electronic Toll Card system that japan uses and is no use to me in Australia.

Now it has a black box on the dash with a small wifi style aerial and a card slot down near my knee.

now i think it looks stupid as its no use to me but i also think its kinda abit of heritage of where the car is from so im stuck but i hate the stupid box on the center of the dash.

Has anyone removed these with any dramas or should i just leave it so there is no ugly holes or glue skid marks on my dash?

It would be easier to have an opinion with pics :)

I took the one out of my stagea years ago (yes, that car has some dash holes from that and other things over the years. The one in the Cima was built in and occasionally failed, causing japanese lady in the back to shout at me every now and then, but I just considered that "character"

yer its just anoying as it brings warnings up saying no card inserted when i get in and start the car.

even if a simple fuse pull can depower it would be enough.

i will try to get some pics.

Right, so if the warning comes from the car that will continue without the ETC (unless you can find a setting to turn it off in the nav screen). If the warning comes from the ETC just unplug it :)

these are the 2 bits im talking about useless here in Australia but also seems like the Satnav is useless here aswell unless i can change the country from Japan to Australia?

20240127_103420.jpg

20240127_103431.jpg

Edited by HYBRID VL

Surely there will only be a small hole in the dash after you remove the antenna part and you can just put a small piece of grey contact or a sticker or something over it.

The other spot is begging for a boost controller.

I'd suggest getting your hand behind the ETC unit in the lower dash and seeing if you get any errors from the car if it is unlplugged, then just leave it there; it is integrated in the dash facia and not in the way (or line of sight).

With the antenna, are you sure it is for the ETC? That will be much harder to get behind and unplug, you will need to work our how it is affixed (might just be tape, might me more solid...)

And, I don't know the story about v37 australia sat nav (or english conversion for that matter). There used to be a bunch out of Estonia (or maybe Russia, it was never that clear) that swapped Japanese for English hardware but they are gone. As the screen is so integrated with the car functions these days it is no longer simple to change out for an aftermarket head unit. If you cared enough, a local Infiniti Q50/Q60 screen would probably fit and work.

Yer im just going to leave all the ETC stuff its not worth pulling it out.

the integration is actually mind blowing on how everything is tied into the screen of this car.

i have look at a few other dashes the SAT NAV screen looks the same.

but it dont mean i can just swap it over im sure there will be a heap more stuff to do.

Also the Map updates need a yearly Sub and im sure your VIN number plays a role in being able to install those updates so getting them off someone else is a no go aswell.

i have already tried downloading the update program and the Info from my car to USB to check and it just wont register the USB on my PC with the Update program from Nissan.