SAU Community

Woohooo.. No Fuel!

muck

last night... the empty light came on jsut as i was parking teh car..........

it was on a very slight slope.......

and this morning.. i came back to find my car would not start............

jerry can in hand.. and a quick trip to teh servo.......

put 4 litres in her and off we went to fill her up....

i filled up 50litres... + 4l from the jerry can..

no more parking nose uphill with teh empty light from now onwards.... i dont trust my tank to take me anywhere anymore....

are these tanks like 60l jobs?

Ive found fuel levels to go down when parking nose downhill and go up nose up hill

Ive also found the fuel to go down when parking on a slight slant towards the passenger down hill and vice versa.

This all make sense because the fuel pump/bobber is on the drivers side .. rear i think?

Normally, when i am with the light on, i fill up about 53-55 litres

So i assume the fuel tanks next DRY, but 4L over the area of a fuel tank is not much at all...

i wish petrol tanks would say how much is left not just 'half full' say '30L remaining, approx another xxxkms before you need to refil.

My parents vectra does that. Is great on long trips as u can tell exactly how long til u will need to fill up.

I'm sure someone with a good pc/programming knowledge could knock something up

I rarely let my car fall below a quarter tank, I'd rather fill it up then than run the risk of either not having fuel available to me in an unfamiliar area, or picking up dirt off the bottom of the tank and clogging the fuel filters prematurely...

It might be a bit pre-emptive and overcautious, but I've had the habit of doing that for so long, and it is a justifiable reason to keep it above a quarter. The most I've ever filled my car up with is about 55 litres.

Nick T.

The most I've ever filled my car up with is about 55 litres.

I regularly put in 60l, after all it is a 68l tank! You should easily be able to get from one side of melbourne to the other on the remaining 8l!

I find the odometer to be a better gauge of how much fuel I have left, as the petrol gauge is certainly not linear... I know I can do 400km of around town driving comfortably, so just fill it up when it gets there (between 55l and 60l, depending on how hard I've been driving.. :-)

Ian

i just couldnt believe that i couldnt get the car started.. is the tank so badly designed that when the light comes on.. i dont have enough petrol to start the car on a slight slope?

maybe my fuel pump is up shit creek?

anyway.. if it ever happens again.. im just gonna syphon it out of your car ian.. i shouldve thought of that .... that morning :P

i just couldnt believe that i couldnt get the car started.. is the tank so badly designed that when the light comes on.. i dont have enough petrol to start the car on a slight slope?

maybe my fuel pump is up shit creek?

anyway.. if it ever happens again.. im just gonna syphon it out of your car ian.. i shouldve thought of that .... that morning ;)

I think you were too busy thinking about ripping the manual gearbox out of mine to worry about the fuel.... Not to mention the suspension, which you could have ripped out of anyones and it would have been an improvement for you :) - have you got that all fixed?

Ian

I rarely let my car fall below a quarter tank, I'd rather fill it up then than run the risk of either not having fuel available to me in an unfamiliar area, or picking up dirt off the bottom of the tank and clogging the fuel filters prematurely...

It might be a bit pre-emptive and overcautious, but I've had the habit of doing that for so long, and it is a justifiable reason to keep it above a quarter.  The most I've ever filled my car up with is about 55 litres.

Nick T.

Think about it Nick, is that really the right thing to do? What happens when one day you just HAVE to run the tank right down? It will pick up ALL the crap in one go, clog the filter and you ain't going nowhere.

Personally I reckon it is better to run the tank down every time, that way there is no accumulation of crap. Plus I know what happens when it gets low, it surges at around 5 litres left in the tank, keep the G forces down and it will be OK for another 20k's or so. It will do at least 80k's after the light has come on. That's all valuable info for the one day when you need to know it.

The first time I run a car right down I always make sure I have a fuel filter to change. I have no worries from then on.

:) cheers ;)

My light was starting to come on yesterday, first full take down to empty after having the Bosch 040 fuel pump installed. Was getting worried, after all Ive read about 040's and under quarter tank syndrome.

Put in 55 litres after 385kms, so exactly 7kms per litre of premium 98ron fuel. I think thats sort of ok for 160awkw.