SAU Community

Noisy Bosch 040 Pump

rmahnovetsky

The last couple of days have been really hot 30deg +.. And I have noticed my 040 intank pump is a noisier than usual. It is like it is cavitating or the pump is out of the fuel constantly.. Quite loud.. Before the last couple of day I could barely hear it. I also have a inline fuel pressure guage on the pump side. What I noticed is the guage oscillating +- .1 psi .. To my it seems like the fuel is like froth from all the heat and driving around. It is the only thing that make sense to me.. It also makes my idle real bad :D

Anyone has any ideas? am I right by the froth idea? if so how to stop it.

I have a 910 external.

Mine used to be so noisy it would vibrate the floor pan even though it was rubber mounted. Upon feeling the out fuel hose it was vibrating so much it made my hand feel slightly numb.

I ran a dedicated feed from the battery via a relay to the pump.

It is still noisy but can no longer be felt or heard inside the car.

tank was 1/4 full...

Busky2k: you find the pump noisy on hot days only? usually I can't hear it..

Driver: brand new pump.

I took the pump out bench tested it.. I noticed the pump to be really quite..mm strange.. The only time I could get the pump to be noisey was when it was starving for fuel. To do this I stood the 040 upright with the suck side on the floor - then it was noisy.. Which was making the same sound could I could hear in cabin..

the pump is high enough from the bottom of the tank. So the only thing I could think of is maybe pressure is not being release from the tank properly on hot days and the pump is struggling to pump the fuel out..

any ideas?

hmm I'm starting to hear mine too. I have a Bosch 040 internal and you can hear it when acc is turned on, briefly before the engine is started. I could barely hear it when idling standing next to the car. The past couple of days has been hot and I can start to hear the pump alot more. I'm not really worried about it but I'll keep an eye out for any updates on this topic.

Nath

Wouldn't worry about it as long as its not vibrating the floor pan like mine.. It pissed me off like you wouldn't believe.

Mines been like it for 3.5years and ~100,000km's.

Edited by Cubes

I found the problem... Crap in the fuel.. It is my worst nightmare going back into the tank - headaches and start seeing stuff :D ..

I took the pump out and noticed heaps of black crap on the filter.. I cleaned it up and it was soundless for 20 ks of driving.. So I used the old pump without a filter and draind and put back the fuel with the 040, 7 times - until no crap was found in the fuel. It seems to be ok now.

When I installed the 040 I also used the original filter and when I took the 040 pump out of the tank I found the black stuff stuck in the 040 filter - it was getting through the original filter. So the 040 filter is finer than the old filter thus picking up more crap before the filter in the engine bay..

I think maybe I got a bad batch or the heat has cleaned the tank off and left floaties..

argh! I just flushed the tank 7 times - shake the car take fuel out and filter the fuel back in. After 40 ks and a top up of fuel the pump is noisy again :P .... I think the petrol station down the road has bad fuel..

I dont think I can take the take out as it looks crammed under the diff..

Oh well another flush tomorrow..

what am I doing posting! I should be drunk!!!