SAU Community

Noise?

I have just recently noticed a noise whenever the car is at idle, its not that loud at all. I think it is coming from the engine or mostly likely the gearbox, because when i press the clutch in the noise stops. Any ideas on what this is or how to stop it? Cheers

What do you mean by thrust bearing? Don't you mean throwout bearing? This works when you push the pedal in.

When the pedal is out your input shaft to the gearbox will be spinning - I've had four nissans now and all have an input shaft bearing noise when the pedal is out and g/box in neutral.

How loud is it?

I've only ever been able to hear this noise when the car is in a quiet tin garage - if that's how it is I wouldn't worry.

If it's audible in a noisy environment ie traffic then that's a different story.

Cheers

Edited by gtst25

definatley sounds like the thrust bearing, same thing happened to a mates car.

He bought a new bearing and we fixed it ourselves cheap n easy, hahaha took us a week tho, luckily he had a daily driver so not a big deal.

if you have a service manual for your car its really an easy fun job just sounds serious cos ya gotta drop the gearbox out

Lee