SAU Community

Pirelli Dragon Or Falken Fk451

Hi all

I have a choice between the Pirelli Dragons or the Falken FK451's.

The Pirellis being $100 more for a set of 4.

The only problem I see is that the Pirellis are an asymmetrical tread, meaning I wont be able to rotate the tyres.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge about either of these tyres?

Cheers

I was under the impression that the Falken are directional so you will only be able to go front to back (not side to side)

The Dragon's are non-directional so you can move them anywhere - the outside of the tyre will always remain the outside of the tyre so the asymetry doesn't matter.

But I have no experiance driving on either tyre. I've been looking recently and decided on the Pilot Preceda from Michelin for my S13.

Cheers

Adrian

The dragons I believe are asymmetrical as describe dby their site.

In other words, the outer side of the tyre must remain on the outside. So tyres cannot be rotated diagonally, only from front to back.

Have read a few threads about the 451s and people seem to think they are on par with the Azeni ST115 if not better.

How much are a set of 451 in 18"?

assymetrical tyres can be moved to any wheel as long as they are not directional as well.

The outside of the wheel is always the outside no matter which way the wheel is turning. Just need the tyre shop to put them on properly. This is a main reason we use assymetric tyres at targa the spare will fit on any wheel 245/45/17 all round

According to Pirellie website Dragon are assymetric not directional.

Its pretty straightforward, with assymetrical the tyre can only be fitted on the rim one way ie there is an inside and an outside of the tyre. But no matter which corner you put the wheel on inside is always inside and outside is always outside.

With directional tyres they are only designed to roll one way, it is marked on the tyre. When the tyre place puts them on the rim they are either mounted for left or right side of the car. You will be able to see by the arrow on the sidewall which way it turns.

You can only swap directional tyres from side to side if they take them right off the rim and put them back on the other way around.

Thats the best I can explain without pics.

All good I understand now.

So with pure asymmetrical, I can rotate diagonally without taking nthe rubber of the wheel. Whereas with directional you have to in order to swap sides or leave em on if u want to swap back to front etc.

Would anyone choose the Pirellis over the Falkens? If so why?

And are asymmetrical better than directional?

You can rotate any tyre, as long as you pay someone to peel it off the rim. I do that, since my front and rear rims are different sizes and I tend to get directional tyres.

Anyway, Pirellis always seem to do badly on Motor and Wheels' annual tyre tests. Not just for their exorbitant price; they do badly in general. Last year, the brand new P Zeros tested on the XR6T got pwned by the 15,000km old (and we're talking journo k's, so none of them were gentle) OEM tyres.

You can rotate any tyre, as long as you pay someone to peel it off the rim. I do that, since my front and rear rims are different sizes and I tend to get directional tyres.

Not so dude , symetrical tyres can only be fitted left or right you cant swap the tyre on the wheel as it has an inner and an out fitting and they are different .

On the other hand non symetrical rotational tyres can be swapped on the rim and used on the side of the car .

Not so dude , symetrical tyres can only be fitted left or right you cant swap the tyre on the wheel as it has an inner and an out fitting and they are different .

On the other hand non symetrical rotational tyres can be swapped on the rim and used on the side of the car .

Might opt for teh Falkens.

Seems like the Pirellis, because they are asymmetrical, will be hard to rotate because if the inside of the tyre wears out quicker, when you rotate, the inside will still be the inside.

I noticed that with Skylines, the insides of both front and rear tyres seem to wear quicker when slightly lowered, so rotating a worn inner tyre at the front to the back doesnt really help.

OK now I am confused. I've never come across an assymetrical and directional tyre that would be a PITA.

There is no problem moving your average directional tyre from one side to another if you rotate it on the rim like scathing said. Directional tyres I have rotated include dunlop DJ01, bridgestone re55s, kumho 711 and 712, falken RS-V04, FK451 and ST115, yoko A032R and A048R. Im not saying there are none you cant rotate but i have never come across one. When they are fittted to the rim they are either left or right but can be swapped by removing from the rim

The only assymetric tyres I have used are Dunlop DZ02G, once they are on a rim you can put them on any corner.

Most general road tyres are niether directional or assymetric, so the tyre fitter can fit them any way on any corner.

Most general road tyres are niether directional or assymetric, so the tyre fitter can fit them any way on any corner.

Thats true too Duncan but there are few that are either left or right so they can only be fitted one way . Yoko andvan use to have them i dont know if they still do though but generaly they are not widely used, they are very rare .

I would go for the fk451. Like everyone always says, they are very very good.

I agree with what was said about. I have never liked Pirellis. They are always soft which gives the illusion that they give good traction. They have poor life since they're soft, yet the traction is not that good.

I've driven on the 451s in my rwd skyline and in the wet, I can hit corners at almost double the speed of my daily driver with commuter tyres.

NB: the above cornering was done under controlled safe conditions.

OK now I am confused.  I've never come across an assymetrical and directional tyre that would be a PITA.

There is no problem moving your average directional tyre from one side to another if you rotate it on the rim like scathing said.  Directional tyres I have rotated include dunlop DJ01, bridgestone re55s, kumho 711 and 712, falken RS-V04, FK451 and

My bridgestone RE55S tyres are asymmetric and directional. That is, you purchase

a tyre for a particular side of the car and 'rotation' is front-to-back only.

There are a couple of different RE55S models; I've only ever bought the WT tyres. Perhaps your RE55S are a different model?

Regards,

Saliya

post-14974-1137971854.jpgpost-14974-1137972025.jpg

I chose a 235/40 FK451, much more comfortable than my thicker sidewalled Yoko DNA GPs. I think the Yokos had a very stiff sidewall.

The Falkens seen okay, driven 50kms on them. Was slippery in the dry at first because I think of the release agent thats on the rubber, but seems to be better now.

Dont know how many kms it needs to be scrubbed in though. Anyone know?