SAU Community

Newbie... Need Advice

Hi guys, i own a Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec 2. Modifications include- HKS down pipe, Nismo de-cat exhaust system, Apexi power intake air filters, Mine's ecu, Blitz boost controller.

My questions are:

1. I learnt (fr this forum) that Mine's ecu cannot be tuned, unless its sent back to japan. Under my current config, do i need to add a Apexi Power FC or HKS F Con V to fine tune the car? Is it worth the money? Or can i just use a Apexi SAFC as a much much cheaper alternative? Or shud just leave it alone and spend the money on other parts.

2. As for the Blitz boost controller, what is the recommended "gain", "ratio" and "boost level" should i be running on? Currently my gain is 5, ratio is 60 and boost limit is 1.25 (is this ok?). I don't really know wat setting to run on. And can someone teach me how to use the the scramble boost?

I don't wish to change the turbo or intercooler. i want to keep these items stock. I will be extremely satisfied with 410-430bhp under very stable conditions. is it achievable? pls advise me.

Thank you very very much.

With the mods you have at the moment, I'd say you are pushing over 300hp (depending on the ECU tune) at the moment. 430hp is very doable with a bit more cash and wether the ECU is tuned to support the power....

I don't know what turbos the V-spec II has, but if they are similar to N1 turbos they should support a bit more boost as well.

2. As for the Blitz boost controller, what is the recommended "gain", "ratio" and "boost level" should i be running on? Currently my gain is 5, ratio is 60 and boost limit is 1.25 (is this ok?). I don't really know wat setting to run on. And can someone teach me how to use the the scramble boost?

For turbos with internal actuators use a gain less than 15, external wastegate use a ggain greater than 15. The ratio is used in manual mode to set the boost so the higher you go the more boost you run. Boost limit will cut off boost when it reaches the set value, I'm guessing that you've set the boost limit to 1.25 bar?

I don't have a GTR but do have a GTST with gain set to 12, ratio set to 54 (which works out to approx. 12psi of boost for my car) and limit set to 13psi. GTR owners will be able to tell u the safe boost level to run.

Hi guys, i own a Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec 2. Modifications include- HKS down pipe, Nismo de-cat exhaust system, Apexi power intake air filters, Mine's ecu, Blitz boost controller.

My questions are:

1. I learnt (fr this forum) that Mine's ecu cannot be tuned, unless its sent back to japan. Under my current config, do i need to add a Apexi Power FC or HKS F Con V to fine tune the car? Is it worth the money? Or can i just use a Apexi SAFC as a much much cheaper alternative? Or shud just leave it alone and spend the money on other parts.

PowerFC, if you have a access to a tuner who can tune em, is the best option without a doubt.

There is little support here in Aust for the F-Con V anyhow

PowerFC, if you have a access to a tuner who can tune em, is the best option without a doubt.

There is little support here in Aust for the F-Con V anyhow

Hmm.. so using a SAFC with the Mines ECU is not an option?

Assume i go with the Power FC, how much increase in performance am i looking at? I'm just wondering if its worth it, or shud i just spend the money on other more useful parts (since i already haf the mines ecu). I would like to keep the turbo n intercooler stock.

Thanks for your advices guys.

The mines ECU IMO - itsnt worth anything more than a stock ECU.

If you has a gts-t i'd say SAF-C... but you have a GTR... you want the most out of it.... PowerFC :)

Doenst matter about stock cooler etc, just gotta be careful and dont run too much boost :D

The PowerFC is a complete ECU unit.

It will replace the current one.

It will also allow you to locally tune it.

Since you will have to get it tuned when you put in on, whether you would see an improvement depends on the state of tune of your current ecu.

If you havn't modified anything, odds are any gain will be minimal (ie. already tuned for the mods). If you have changed anything, you should get more out of it.

As far as I know, there are two main aftermarket ECU's for skylines - PowerFC and Motec.

Unless you are aiming for stratospheric power levels, PowerFC will be fine (I like the idea of the aussie motec though).

I don't know enough about either to prompt you in a particular direction though.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedwa...sbc_manual.html

^ good guide to the Blitz SBC boost controller. Not sure which model you have but from what you are saying it sounds like this one. Also explains warning function and scramble boost.

On a GTST i had Gain = 16 and Ratios were 15, 20, 30, 40

Ratio = 30 worked out to about 10psi

Run the Gain too high and you overboost when it's coming on. Just crank it up little by little, when your Gain setting gets too high your boost will spike over what you want and then come down. Turn Gain back down a little until boost rises up to your desired boost level but doesn't spike over. Easy!

To set it up i found it easy to set Gain low (say 5) and then get your Ratio settings right first (to get your desired peak boost level), then set Gain to make boost come on as quickly as possible without overboosting.

(you really need a passenger to keep an eye on your boost gauge while you keep your eyes on the road)

Edited by Beeble