SAU Community

Under 21 Insurance!

Hey guys,

I was after information, about insuring my car as im under 21. Many companies let you insure it and if an under 25 driver crashes it its a higher excess. allowing me to put it in my parents name, getting a cheeper premium and if i crash a much higher excess. NRMA will do this, shannons insurance i was holding out on but they do this same thing but its only a higher excess if someone for 21-25 crashes the insurance is totally invoid if there under 21.

Basiclly im goign to put the insurance in my parents name to save money, i was just wondering who is in my situation or has any knowledge on the situation.

Much apricated

Michael

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its in there name, will be rego in there name, and have rang the majour insurance companies and the only one where i will still be coverd on the policy, even if im not nominated (and jsut have to pay a much higher ecsess) is NRMA for $2200, insured at 15k.

Do you know of any companies?

my son is 19 has his r33gts t rego in his own name has it insured in his own name and cost him 1500 bucks a yr .the only prob in doing it ya olds name is that you yourself wont be racking up a insurence rating .and when you do couse you dont have a rating your premuims are going to be high anyway your really saving swa in the long run

Edited by mid life crisis

Umm what insurance company is your son with??? And do you know how much it is insured for??? Still 1500 a year is pritty good, sounds interesting. Yeah thats a con having it in my mums name, but at this point in time i just want it insured and when im over 21 i'll start getting my own credit rating so when im 25 it shodul be alot cheeper, but atm i still think its in my best interest at this point in time to put it in there name.

Just car is a rip LOL, they want to know who the youngest driver is, even if they plan on driving it once a year. Then once they find that out they wanted to charge me $4,500 a year LOL...................hmmmm i don't think so.

Thanks ne way guys for your help, i really apricate it,

Dean if you coudl ask yoru son, who he's with and what its insured for, it would be very much apricated.

Thanks Michael

jeeez $4500 i just insured a R34 gtt full comp. and im 19 and lost my licence for 6mth and got it back in january and all im paying is about $2200 and thats thru just cars.

Just so you know - NRMA won't insure any car that wasn't sold in production here.. e.g. Japanese imports..

AAMI will refer you to Just Cars as they are a subsiduary of AAMI..

Your options are very very limited..

Hmmm mabe because im 17??? I havnt' had my licence for a full year yet, and have also crashed, that might have alot to do with it, i dunno??? - sooo.. how are you allowed to drive an R33 Gts-t than.. from my guess you'd be on your Red P's.. 6 cyl turbo - against the rules if your in From: NSW.. doesn't matter if it's your parents car.. you can't be seen in it..

I got my licence in April last year then new regulations didnt' come in till eitehr june or july last year, therefore i came in on the old system.

LOL NRMA knows exactly what type of car it is modle, year etc. LOL and they not once said they couldnt' insure it, LOL yeah untill u make a claim, F*@^# theifs.

Suncorp is no go to, they dont' cover under 25's.

NRMA is off the list to, they won't cover a turbo car for people (GET THIS) under 30

I'm backed into a corner here, and have really no where to go? Can anyone else help me?

Oh just car quoted me $3200 the second time round.

Still way to much money when u think rego 800 so thats 4k to keep it onthe road, im only making 5.5k a year after school job. So it doesn't work out.

I'm open for susjestions and help please

Michael

yeah, insurance sucks. Do most people on this forum under 25 not have insurance. I jsut find it so hard to belive that no company will touch me even if its in my parents name and im not nominated on the policy, u would expect an excess like quadrupal, but still to be covered.

I'm still open for susjestions.

Thanks guys