SAU Community

Where/Who and How much for a Timing belt

Guest MRE

Well I took the car to my brothers work shop on the weekend.

Replaced the sparkplugs with some platinum ones set the gaps to .8.

Upon starting the motor there was a miss.

My brother insisted on giving it a boot full thinking that this would clear the problem up :P

Turns out one of the coils was not fully pushed in place, and that fixed the miss.

During this time a rattle at idle revs was noticed coming form the Timing belt cover.

A quick look showed the belt was loose and had not been replaced (not that I expected it to be)

The cars has 46thou on the clock if that's to be believed............not.

So I want to get the belt replaced.

Any one in Brisbane recommend any one?

How much?

Might as well do the water pump at the same time.

Would it be better to pick the parts up from Nissan myself, then have some one else fit it.

How long does it take as I need to work my job around it :D

Very easy to do yourself

Tools Required: felt tip pen

harmonic balancer puller, socket and breaker bar (undo nut on pully) i think it was a 26mm, hand full of spanners 8mm 10mm 12mm 13mm 14mm, set of allen keys and a flat blade screwdriver

Drain water from radiator, remove hoses undo black cover for fan

undo the two 10mm bolts at top of radioator remove radiator,

use the breaker bar with the 26mm socket and put on front of the balancer pully with the handle down toward the passanger side of the car unplug the crank angle sensor mark the nuts to the cover so you can put it back in exactly the same place,

(its at front of the exhaust camshaft) flick the key this should crck the bar against the chassis rail on the left side of the car.

remove all fan belts and fan & remove the top half of the timing belt cover. set the engine to top dead center (tdc) each side of the cam pullys has a dot, line them up with the marks on the back of the cover once at tdc use puler to remove balancer remove bottom belt cover (ensure engine doesn't turn) remove and replace timing belt tensioners (both) as the barings most likely stuffed replace belt (Reassembly reverse the disassembly)

It shouldnt take more than two hours to do the whole job.

if you are replacing the water pump a vl commondore one for $75

may be a cheaper option (only one bolt hole differs not critical to leave it out.)

Well if you're not up for doing it yourself, i think mine cost me $400 or something, and got it done at Westpoint (Subaru of all places) they were pretty good guys and more then helpful. Only reason I went there is cause a guy I know works there and was gunna get me a good price but the boss came back before I could get it done.

Ended up getting one though Nissan

Over the couter $96

Through a friend who works there $65 :D

Water pump, had a look at using the Commodore ones.

One bolt does not match, some say it don't matter.

I grabbed a Nissan one for $160 from QPD.

Had my brother who is a Auto Sparky working at Red Devil, install it and flush the cooling system.

Job took 3 hours...cost Zip.......thats what family are for :(