SAU Community

Jobs In Japan?

GTR-80Y

Everyday just seems like groundhog day weeks pass and i don't even know it.

i can relate to that... maybe replace the word weeks, with months... lol.

definately give it a shot. there is nothing really to loose.

BTW I wasn't trying to sound negative about the whole english teaching thing, or put people down (but i realise now it did kind of sound like that). i just know that most japanese people i know who regularly mix with foreigners in japan dont have much respect for foreign english teachers as most of them have had at least one bad experience with one, they have much more respect for foreigners who actually work in international or even japanese companies in japan doing other jobs. plus english teaching in japan is not very well paid. but it is a great lifestyle i guess, and with the short hours it leaves plenty of time to do other things, or work other jobs. :( like i said above i think it's a good idea to do it short term, but i wouldn't make a career out of it.

sorry if i offended anyone, it's just my opinion.

Coming to the end of my two year stint here in osaka i can definitely agree teaching english is not a career move, but an interesting experience, and could be good to get out of a rut. Just wanted to make a comment on chick thing. The main problem people have with japanese chicks is alot of them are 30 going on 13, i say this only in terms their relationship with there partents (curfew, who they can\cant see (foregner phobia?) ask for permission to do anything) this is very much a generalisation but has ended many a friends relationship with an otherwise cool chick. recommendation: sus out the parent-child relationship first. That being said if you came and things did'nt work there are plenty of chicks here who are cool and want foreign boyfriends. Occasionally you see a really ugly looking foreigner walking down the streets looking very impressed with himself cos he has a half decent bird and back home no one would look at him and he has no friends, beware japan is full of these types. It is not true there is no respect, half the time your treated like movie stars and chicks ask you for your number.

Job wise, sorry mate, no japanese, nothing but teaching english for you!

ganbate!

Edited by momo

Occasionally you see a really ugly looking foreigner walking down the streets looking very impresed with himself cos he has a half decent bird and back home no one would look at him and he has no friends, beware japan is full of these types.

yes, so very ture. we call them LBH... Looser Back Home.

haha i'm no LBH but ur right about being possesive/jealous.....but what asian chick i've been out with hasn't been like that? haha

Yes it will set my career back big time, sorta waste of my degree and i'm not geting any younger.

Momo: by parent child relationship do u mean literally how she gets on with her old folks?

yes, as in she could be 30 and is treated like a 13 year old by her folks and whats worse she will accept it and get pissed off if you dont.

as for LBH... I feel like I was semi respectable back home with too many freinds to know what to do with, well paying job/career and always atleast 1 chick around.

over here Im always reminded of how crap my Japanese is by other gaigin that love studying, Im still a part time Nova teacher, and constantly low on cash LOL

am I a LIJ (loser in Japan)?? LOL

Edited by Streeter

lol I'm digging this discussion... very frank guys well done.

Since I've come back to Australia I've realized that I'm a LAOTW... (loser all over the world) :P

haha i'm no LBH but ur right about being possesive/jealous.....but what asian chick i've been out with hasn't been like that? haha

Yes it will set my career back big time, sorta waste of my degree and i'm not geting any younger.

Momo: by parent child relationship do u mean literally how she gets on with her old folks?

Yeh, what streeter said. You could meet a really cool chick but if she is too tight with her pairs its a waist of your time cos they will treat her like a child and make all her decisions for her and she'll go along with it because generally thats the rule not the acception. Most chicks are still living at home until they marry so it can be hard to get them away from the parents influence. One of my mates has been going out with a chick for 3 years and her parents dont know because they dont want her to have a boyfriend while she is studying medicine. she tells her parents shes staying at a friends house so it kind of works... (shes 25, sounds crazy right but...) another mate got a girl and she was 30, she asked her parents if she could stay over at his house, they said no so that was the end of that. Ive met quite few cool chicks but when you subtly sus-out the situations you can tell nothing good will come of it, unless its just for the night...

there are alot of situations where someone has come back to japan with a chick theyve met only for her to warp into a different person as she conforms to all the presures around her (because thats what japanese people do), unfortunately these people are sometimes married. :rofl:

As far as falling behind through lack of japanese skills your totally right, but i found after a little while even the most basic attempts to comunicate in shit japanese would earn big points :D

Well she doesn't conform with her parents.....she does while shes under their roof but she has moved out before and is currently looking to move out now. She can't stand the parent child thing.

But i have noticed shes changed her tune a bit since goin back to japan....if it was meant to be its meant to be...i'll giv it a few months.

Rezz, u back for now? how long were u over there?

I was there for 5 years, did practically everything car related in that time, then needed a break from the surreal... so went home.

I should be back there this year sometime, and when I do... LOOK OUT :( I will definately t-up a 'SAU and Friends' gathering.

Well she doesn't conform with her parents.....she does while shes under their roof but she has moved out before and is currently looking to move out now. She can't stand the parent child thing.

But i have noticed shes changed her tune a bit since goin back to japan....if it was meant to be its meant to be...i'll giv it a few months.

Rezz, u back for now? how long were u over there?

Certainly dont wanna put you off. I rekon you should go for it, youve always got options

good to go into things with all bases covered but everyones situation is different, so what the f&*k do I know? love it or hate it, it would be a great experience for anyone to get out of their comfort zone and learn a bit about other people/cultures.