SAU Community

R32 Gtst 93 Mspec Auto

hey guys

looking at buyin a 32 just a few questions i need to ask about it

firstly the car has 156000 kms - i no rb20dets are tough but is this a little high? i do plan on making it a drift project car so should i be worried about this much km's?

secondly the car is auto, realisticaly using a rb20 box and clutch how much am i looking at for the conversion?

and lastly there is a weird noise coming from the engine, the owner told me it is the idler pulley? is this a common thing with rb20s? and how much to fix this? the owner thinks no more then $100?

thankyou very much for your help

steve

156,000km could be high, but then again, if you looked at many other "76,000km" cars you'll find condition surprisingly similar <_< Most from japan have done somewhere from 150,000 -> 200,000km I tend to think by 15 years old, and so many seem wound back on the 32's (esp. the 89/90 ones).. So I'd just go on condition of the car, rather than just km. Don't forget all the bushes, suspension setup, etc, etc if you are going to do any motorsport with it -- that can add up to a lot to replace the bushes, get the right suspension setup, etc, etc in an old car.

Conversion to manual can vary.. but expect about $1000, and a real headf*ck finding all the little parts one by one. If you can get a wreck might be able to snap up a steal on the lot.

"Weird noise" can be anything from like idler pulley like you say, to engine bearings (i.e. rebuild time).. So get it checked out first to make sure it is actually minor. $100 is bullshit, thats what the part will cost itself- not the labour. I would expect around $400 for any workshop price to replace the idler bearing, as just to get to it will take a couple of hours. May as well then do timing belt as well... so really, will be up around $600 for that to be done by a mechanic (depending on where you go of course)