SAU Community

Squeling Brakes

hey

just wanting to find out if i am the only one with frodo racing pads that squele when evere i pull up at a set of traffic lights, i have being given a warning from the cops for it :D so i want to find out what to do to stop it as i dont want a yellow sticker for it. i have just taken the full racing frodo pads off as they were making too much noise, and i spent $130 for a new set of street frodo pads to try and stop it from making the noise again but i think it is worse than what it was before. any help will be cool as the noise is giving me the shits

thanks kenny B)

Are you using DS2500 / DS3000s? They will squeal a lot when they're cold.

The DS2500s are a sprint racing / semis street pad and the DS3000s are more of a longer duration track pad.

You can try pulling them out and using anti-squeal paste. I haven't done it myself, but I've heard it works wonders.

hey

i have had the ds3000s before and now i have the 2500s in my car. i cant tell the difference as they both squeal like hell. the reason i had the 3000s is that i got them off a track spec wrx for $150 to see if they would help with the braking of my car as the old ones i had were crap.

i do not have the shims in as they just dont fit in with the new pads :D

thanks kenny B)

I put a set of DBA slotted rotors on, and mine squeal like a bat out of hell..

I tried "Disc Brake Quiet" from Repco, and it worked for about 6 weeks, and then it started again. I have shims in there too.. Im not adding more of this paste every 6 weeks, so I'm stuck too :D

My brakes squeal when i've been driving in too much daily traffic and the pads become glazed (driving too soft). I just give the car a bit of a flogging and make sure to be on and off the brakes as quickly as possible - meaning that you are braking effectively. On reasonably hard then off. Repeat that a few times till you have worked the glaze off with your foot.

If you don't want to do that, then remove the pads and file off the shiny layer. Shiny = glazed. It most likely also has something to do with your pads being 2500's. I just use Ferodo Formula's on my car because at the moment i'm not doing enough motorsport to warrant 2500's.

That cop sounds like he's full of cr@p to me. How can they give you a yellow for squealing brakes? Did you tell him you have performance pads? What a moron.... :D

• 1 year later...
DS series pads squeal. Its part and parcel of using a proper (semi) race pad.

Its like complaining about how loud a 3.5" straight-through exhaust is......

I just got some Ferodo DS2500's.

They haven't made the squealing sound yet.... shouldn't I be expecting it?

Its almost like I want my brakes to squeal so I know I have ferodo's. :laughing-smiley-014:

I tried to bed them in a bit (doing 60-20 stopped 20 times with med braking). Has this prevented the squealing?

Joel

edit: Pads now squeal.

Edited by leb