SAU Community

C210 - Auto To Manual

coupe72001

I now have all the goodies that I need to attempt to convert my C210 from auto to manual (found a good box from a 240K) - except a crossmember... Does anyone know if I can use the existing one, or will I need to grab one from a manual car.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

What a travesty!

1. Tried to mount flywheel to a washer that mounts the the automatic transmission only.

2. Clutch kit did not come with bolts to mount pressure plate to flywheel.

3. Slave cylinder did not come with mounting bolts.

4. Ran out of light and butchered the wiring trying to hook up the reverse lights. Now there are no reverse lights and instead of brake lights I get a door warning light come on instead when I hit the brakes WTF!

5. 2nd gear syncro is not in the condition that the box was advertised in... Ker-unch!

Ah well... learning curve and all. Seriously if anyone does know what color wire and where to connect the reverse lights to the unit in the box I'd be much obliged.

Cheers!

LOL Don't worry man, we mounted the flywheel to the auto spacer thing too... was a real bitch!! Then we had to take it off. hahaha

Don't you have a service manual? Check the wiring diagram and it'd be easy as. Or just play guess and check...

I can scan in the wiring diagram if you need it, just ask.

Sounds like you went pretty trouble-free!! On my car, the new clutch wasn't the same as the old one, so had to figure out what it was... Turns out most Nissan clutches are ALMOST the same. Went with a bit of a educated guess at 280ZX and we got it right. Plenty of other problems too - the worst bit IMO was the bloody pedals! Hope you had fun :)

Lachlan

What a travesty!

1. Tried to mount flywheel to a washer that mounts the the automatic transmission only.

2. Clutch kit did not come with bolts to mount pressure plate to flywheel.

3. Slave cylinder did not come with mounting bolts.

4. Ran out of light and butchered the wiring trying to hook up the reverse lights. Now there are no reverse lights and instead of brake lights I get a door warning light come on instead when I hit the brakes WTF!

5. 2nd gear syncro is not in the condition that the box was advertised in... Ker-unch!

Ah well... learning curve and all. Seriously if anyone does know what color wire and where to connect the reverse lights to the unit in the box I'd be much obliged.

Cheers!

Turns out most of my wiring confusion stemmed from a blown fuse! Ideal timing - I thought I must have mashed a wire or switch for sure...

I got my hands on original factory manual at a fairly horrific cost and will trace the wiring for the reverse lights tomorrow.

Other than a leak in the clutch line its nearly all done.

Not sure what I will do about the nasty 2nd gear syncro in the end... do I get the box rebuilt (expensive) or search for another 2nd hand box and hope its OK (wishful thinking)?

Oh yeah! The gearlever for the 240K and the C210 are similar, but not the same... It fits until you try and put the centre consol back in. Son of bitch! I'll laugh about it tomorrow.

Drew

The 240K lever is bent like an L. Mount it one way and you cant get 1st, 3rd and 5th cause it makes contact with the console, mount it the other way and 2nd, 4th and reverse are out the door. I am currently driving with the console sitting on the back seat. I am assuming the C210 gear lever must be fairly straight, as the manual C210s that I have seen have an identical centre console to mine.

Should I get the syncros from Nissan, or is their a better source?

Interestingly mounting the pedals wasn't too bad, I kept the pedal box and hung the clutch and smaller brake pedal off the ends of the fulcrum... Very handy tip!

Yeah did that too.. was just a bastard for some reason. heh! Anyway, the 240K gear lever isn't like an L... it's straight! Sounds like you got a lever from something else... Z cars have a kink in them, like ... (excuse my poor ascii skillz)

|

/

|

Dunno.. I might have a spare 240K one soon though, will let you know.

I dont know about all the synchros and stuff, best bet is to find a good gearbox place and ask them :| Easier said than done

That's just bizarre, the lever definitely is bent like you described... must have come off another car! Found a straight one at Z spares and had a dog of a time mounting it properly, really hard to push the pin through in neutral, but the pin goes in easy enough when its in 1st... baffling. Thanks for looking though.

Ill let you know how I go finding syncros. Also will post a few pics of the car after it finally gets lowered on Tuesday.

Drew

For reference, here's a picture I took when I did mine, showing the C110 stick (straight) and the S30 stick (bent).

Are you sure you've got a C210 box? Not that it really matters, just the ratios may be different.

post-14007-1141956545.jpg

Edited by Alfadog

For reference, here's a picture I took when I did mine, showing the C110 stick (straight) and the S30 stick (bent).

Are you sure you've got a C210 box? Not that it really matters, just the ratios may be different.

Interesting,

A c210 manual 5-speed is available to me, and i was wondering if the ratios in it are the same as those found the c110 5-speed? - sort of related...:dry:

As far as I know my box is out of a 240K, and the advantages of this are 1st and 2nd are not as tall as the Z boxes, and the syncros are made of bronze, making them a hell of a lot cheaper to repair than the Z boxes... but I am not sure of the differences (if any) between the 240k and c210 boxes. Anyone? Anyone?