SAU Community

Please Help! Exhaust Leak!

ross80

I have just put a new motor in my r33 (rb25det). It is obvious that it has an exhaust leak off the turbo to the exhaust.

What is the best way to fix this as my car wont boost up, and it is pretty much undrivable how it is.

I had a quote of someone to fix it for $550. This seems a bit rich to me as it cant be that involved to fix myself.

Anyone else had this drama? can you please help me?

do you mean manifold to turbo or turbo to exhaust? I am assuming manifold to turbo from your description.

Not a difficult job, obviously requires the removal of the turbo to replace the gasket. You can also do the turbo to dump gasket at the same time.

Both gaskets will cost you under $50. You are paying for labour as it is a 2-4 hour job depending on familiarity.

my gaskets on my GTR i think r failing. little bit noisey just after dumps..

some gasket sealant would do nicely

Gasket sealant might be OK for your situation (certainly not the OP's though), but its still not advisable. The dump --> front pipe gaskets are gettable without drama, so I'd just replace them with a new set personally.

As for the original question, lots of people have gaskets blow. With that much heat and pressure, and the constant expansion and contraction, its of little suprise really. You might have a broken stud as well, though the most common studs to fail and the head --> manifold studs. Speaking of which, its a good idea to replace those studs while you're at it. You may need to have a surface or two machined, and you'll also need a few incidental parts like locking tabs, etc.

yep correct thats the section of the exhaust im having dramas with.

Ive heard people say that the bolts used are aluminium and they are fairly common to stretch, warp or crack.

Is the a job I could tackle myself?

Could you explain to me what to do please?

Last time i checked, i think its 4 x 10mm studs from the manifold which the turbo bolts upto and that has a pressed tin gasket which i have never seen leak yet, infact ive reused mine twice now with two diff turbos. But you will need a screw driver to bend the locking tabs back and then a 14mm ring/open ended spanner to undo the four nuts. Will make it easier if you drop the exhaust, oil and water lines and prob intake side too which will let the turbo fall off and you can get to the manifold to turbo gasket. The heat shield is a bitch with like 10 little m6 bolts everywhere which is a 10mm spanner if yours isnt already removed.

Ive noticed that alot of manifold studs break generally always at the front and rear without alot of people even realising it. Its a common occurance so be weary you dont lose too many, cause it will eventually break through the gasket and start chuffing.

good luck if its your first attempt.