SAU Community

Speaker Pop

Pawley

Can anyone relate to similar experience...

I have just removed subs and amp from R32... and left head unit to run 4 speakers.

Upon turning ignition to "ON" the speaker will 'pop' loudly once, and then again once when ignition id turned off. Sounds like dodgey earth to me, so have re-established a new earthing point.

The funny (or not so) part is when the headunit fascia is removed when the ignition is on, and all four speakers will pop in a pulsing and repetitive way until the ignition is turned off.

Perhaps the headunit is faulty?

Interesting! And you used the original red power cable, and ran your own ground?

It sounds a lot like electrical interference, the way it pulsates with the ignition on.

I could come up with things to check, but i'd have no clue whether they'd produce the symptoms you describe, and they'd just be the usual things that you probably already know. (wires grounding etc)

Wait for Chris Rojers ;o)

Speaker popping can be caused by a number of things ranging from a bad earths or shorts (which you have said you have already checked) to a damaged components (damaged equipment could also have been caused by a plethora of things too so that must be checked also if damaged equipment is found to be the cause).:P

If you like, you're more than welcome to bring it down for us to diagnose for you.

Can you also list your component please?

Edited by Fhrx

Speaker popping can be caused by a number of things ranging from a bad earths or shorts (which you have said you have already checked) to a damaged components (damaged equipment could also have been caused by a plethora of things too so that must be checked also if damaged equipment is found to be the cause).:P

If you like, you're more than welcome to bring it down for us to diagnose for you.

Can you also list your component please?

Appreciated thanks Fhrx. We're in Adelaide however.

The headunit is a Clarion unit of around 5-7 years vintage, and was working fine prior to the 4ch 600w US Audio Amp and wiring and twin DVC Orion 10" Subs, being removed yesterday.

I did not run a new earth, but rather sliced into the cigarette lighter earth, as time is lacking at them moment, with the car due at its new owner's property on Wednesday.

Im more and more convinced that it is a headunit problem, as the 'pop' will also occur when the power button is pressed with no keys in the car's ignition!!

HI Pawley,

I have had this exact same problem with slightly different equipment.

The car at the time was a mitsubishi magna, system value was well over 20k, when the owner went to sell the car the system was removed except for head unit. Front and rear speakers were replaced with cheapo "hole fillers".

Essentially a deck running straight to the speakers. Same as your case.

We found it was the unit itself. When you run external amplifiers the units amplifier is bypassed and low level outputs are used - RCA's, these originate from the units pre amplifier not the units amplifier. Inside a unit it looks like this.

Laser -> processor -> pre amp -> amp

When the units amplifier was used however we too got the same annoying turn on/ turn off pop through the speakers.

We eventually traced the fault to an internal fault with the units amplifer power supply. I cant remember the exact component as this was around 5 years ago.

The solution.

Well, we removed the customers Nakamichi unit and replaced it with a cheapo RRP approx $150. Sure it sounded crappy ( compared to 20k's worth) but the problem was fixed for the sale.

What I would recommend to you is to go and source a low price cd tuner and put it in. The instal is simple, as you would know, and there are some great bargains at the moment on 2005 pioneer product that retailers are trying to clear.

I was in my Local Repco store the other day and the Pioneer DEH1750 was $119 ( this is just cd/am/fm) and the Pioneer DEH2750MP (cd/mp3/am/fm) was $159. Excellent prices for these models and surprisingly cheaper than my local Audio place.

Its just a suggestion, but for the sake of $119 i would just do it.

PJ