SAU Community

Does Your Stagea Flutter Or Just "pffffffff" On Lift Off?

AlexCim

Well, today, i just noticed that my stagea flutters.....

This noise seems to have developed as until now, the car just "pfffffffff"ed.

To be honest, the other day i took the vac hose off the bov as i wanted to get flutter, but all i got was a car that stalled before it got into 2nd and a day of driving around ever 5 minutes the 4wd light coming on and the car was just idling like piss and being shit in general. Couldnt hold revs etc.

Anyway, after it stalled, i pulled over and reconnected the hose immediatly.

Annnyyywayyy, since then ive noticed a flutter when i back off at about 5psi or so at 1/4 load, not what i used to hear which was just a rush of air.

So, have i damaged my stock BOV or what? Car still holds boost fine and is as quick as ever.

BTW, tomorrow ill be buying a POD just to piss around with it, never owned a turbo car before and i want some induction noise for a week :(

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't hear mine, as far as I can remember. Then again, the exhaust is too f*cking loud to hear anything over - seriously considering putting a (another?) silencer/resonator in as soon as I can scrape some cash together.

Ok, yes, it definatly flutters now the pod is on.

Should i replace my BOV with an aftermarket unit?

Good to hear. Personally, the only aftermarket BOV I would buy is the one that does make that fluttering noise, rather than the "Ksschhhh" noise (if you get what I mean)...

If that's what puts a kick in your step, then why not? It won't add to performance, as we all know, but if it's what helps you enjoy your car that little bit more, then go for it.

Good to hear. Personally, the only aftermarket BOV I would buy is the one that does make that fluttering noise, rather than the "Ksschhhh" noise (if you get what I mean)...

If that's what puts a kick in your step, then why not? It won't add to performance, as we all know, but if it's what helps you enjoy your car that little bit more, then go for it.

AFAIK all vent to atmosphere BOV's make a "Ksschhhh" noise, its the sound of the air going back through the turbo that makes the fluttering noise

My GFB Stealth makes the flutter sound if the pressure is not great enough to open it to vent it, normally ~3-4psi range, but anything over that and it wakes the dead as it vents :)

It is set to 75% atmo/25% plumback, but am looking at setting it to 100% plumback, just so that it doesnt attract so much attention every time I change gears... ;)

my car only hisses. I'm running a std exhaust (until thursday arvo that is), with a pod,and a profec set to 0.8kg/cm2.

there's heaps of induction noise,and the std BOV hisses everytime you lift off,regardless of load. lift off abruptly from full noise,and it gives you a suitable 'psshhh'.

IMHO,you don't need an aftermarket BOV unless you get serious fluttering with the std unit. atmo-venting units just attract unwanted attention,and stuff up your mixtures. the std bov makes enough noise through a pod for people to hear it as you drive by anyway. why you'd want the whole suburb to know that you just lifted off thr throttle is beyond me.

Justin..

Yeah that is why I am experimenting with my GFB Stealth, being able to set it from 100% plumb back all the way through to 100% atmo venting is nice, but really not that neccessary!

after today i think i need a power fc, dump pipe, high flow cat, front mount, bigger turbo, bigger brakes, bilstein suspension... id better stop dreaming, i already owe the bank too much money for my liking

im contemplating getting the gfb stealth fx, how much did it cost you with the skyline adapter SKA?
i dont think Cyrus has spent anything on his car modifying it.

So i presume his answer will be "it came with the car"

Yet again, Alex is spot on, it came with the car when I bought it, although I know they cost ~$500 last time I checked, which means that I would've never bought it myself, as there are much better things to buy with ~$500 then a BOV! Still it is nice to have, too bad it isnt the new one which you can adjust from inside the cabin, but could probably hook up something if it was really needed, but honestly, I have never been in the position in the car where I want to change the ratio of the plumb/atmo setting.