SAU Community

Headlight Dramas

my right hand headlight started playing up a few weeks back, and finally died. Heres the problem:

-All globes are new and test ok.

-i tried this:take the globe out,turn headlight switch on, plug a multi-meter into the terminals, it reads 12v. I plug the globe back in, it reads 0, then take globe out again, volts rise back up to 12v. WTF>?

any ideas?

I'm no auto sparky but maybe its the earth. Check to see if the earth wire for the headlight is grounded properly. I'm not sure where the wire would be though.

I had this problem on a van, the right side front indicator wasn't working and the bulb was brand new. When we took the bulb out and put multimeters on the terminals it would read 12v, but as soon as we put the bulb back in it didn't work, it turned out that the earth wire wasn't grounded proplerly.

Your problem could be similar, but thats just my guess.

plug the globes in, then put them back in the headlight fixture. This should earth it. If you try and turn the lights on with the globe dangling out it wont work, but if you plug it in it will. If this still aint working check the light switch out. it might be screwed?

• 7 months later...
ahhh found the problem, it was the wiring behind the switch in the plug playing up! cheers folks

The wiring behind the switch in the plug?

Can you describe it more exactly, please?

Because I have the same problem as you had, but found no solution to it yet...