SAU Community

K So Boost Gauge Is In, Now What The Heck Is My Boost Doing

Anyways, so gauge in and it peaks at .7 bar @ 5000rpm(10.00psi), boost kicks in @ 3000rpm. Once it hits 5000rpm it drops off dramatically, at 6000rpm its .55 bar till at red line its at .5 bar (7.00 psi), is a drop that big normal? i can really feel it dropping back once i hit the 5000 rpm to. I have 3 inch turbo back exhaust, on it and will have a pod on in a day or two, was also looking at a $22 boost controller, but.. 2 psi is alot i spose. So is it a timing/maintenance/ecu issue? Any suggestions on what it can be, ill cry if its a turbo recon or something, im 19 and already owe $13000 on a car, cant afford to owe moree

Also another question, this thing develops peak kilowatt at around 6200 rpm right? if boost drops off after 5000 rpm then should i be shifting at peak kilowatts or once i start losing boost

thx in advance, when it comes to turbo's i know nutting :)

Edited by brainlessnoob

umm you would need to dyno the car to see when you get peak power, not peak boost before changing.

umm boost drop off is normal on basically std cars with front mount and controller..

pod will help once it goes in to keep that power. turbo back exhausts make it better, is it a split system?

ahh damnation, it just feels sucked so back once it hits 5k, u get pushed forward in your seat instead of back zz, thanks any wayz, if u reckon its standard'ish, ill try put it on a dyno with that $22 boost gauge, get em to adjust everything for me. Hoping it doesnt cost more than $150 to use the dyno though, im on a budget

my car holds boost fine.. hits 9.5psi and stays there until i let off, and then spikes to about 15 (my gauge is BEFORE throttle body) before going back down :O

and my post T/B is fine.. holds just the same then drops when i let off the go gas pedal :rofl:

back when mine was using the std turbo. it would hold 11 psi for a while then drop back to 9 psi to redline... so yeah depends on what boost level your chasing.

Its normal for boost to drop off at high rpm with rb20s. The turbo is flowing more air and is getting outside its most efficient region. And the more air flows through the system (ie. at high boost and high rpm), the more the stock intercooler, piping etc becomes a resistance to flow, therefore more boost lost.