SAU Community

Sii Rb25det Coil Packs, Plugs & Afm Tips/advice Please

Hey guys, as we all know and read it 100 times before in this forum that many SII RB25DET's suffer from spluttering/misfire at 5000RPM under heavy acceleration. However, since every car will vary in cause of this misfire, here are the symptoms of my car...

1. Very slight stuttering/poping on idle (when warm) but not noticable at all.

2. Distinctive spluttering at 5000RPM at heavy load in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear (not in 1st).

3. Occasional pop/backfire from exhaust when changing gears at ~ 4500RPM (due to cam timming?).

As for the slight stuttering/poping on idle, im going to give my AFM a clean with contact cleaner due to oil from K&N and check to make sure there are no dry/cracked solder joints.

I was also going to remove my coil packs and give the electrode a clean with light sanding and check for any cracks.

Then i was going to check my plugs to see if any are fouled up and make sure there gapped at 0.8

NOTE: about a year ago i got the coil packs repaced with secondhand ones... NGK Platinums gapped at 0.8 where put in... this soldved the problem up untill now... since then i have also put a split dump and 3" exhaust and Turbotech at 9psi...

Am i on the right track??? any other advice??? and YES i have used the search button :/

Kind Regards,

Sarkis

Edited by QRI05E

Check the packs for hairline cracks or signs of arcing. Also search and read a big thread about fixing this stutter and high-rpm issue. Seems that 90% that tried the coilpack fix have walked away happy.

Thanks for the advise, ill do a search... you know the link to the post?? you think im waisting my time cleaning the AFM???

Cheers