SAU Community

Rattling Clutch Pedal Or Clutch Assembly?

WAN73D

hey guys....got a minor prob (i think) with my 1990 r32 gtst

i noticed recently (i think it's gotten a tiny bit more noticable over time), that since i changed my clutch there is a fairly high pitched rattling sound coming from the front end of the car at idle. But as soon as a press the clutch peddle down it goes away.

I have also noticed that it goes away when i step on the clutch just slightlly (without actually making the clutch release yet, if u know what i mean) so to me it seems to be something to do with the pedal assembly.

clutch works fine...just that this sound is pissin me off.

anyone got ideas?

thanx again

it's only a single plate clutch

so what's this thrust bearing??? and why would it be making a noise when i'm stopped in neutral. DO you think this is a problem because the car drives fine otherwise?

it's only a single plate clutch

so what's this thrust bearing??? and why would it be making a noise when i'm stopped in neutral. DO you think this is a problem because the car drives fine otherwise?

If its a rattling sound its not the thrust bearing, they make a different sound, if you have an old bearing without grease in it spin it fast and you will know what a bearing sounds like. If it just rattles its the clutch itself. Is it a button clutch ? Who installed it?

If its a bearing sound it could be the main shaft bearing in the gearbox and it goes away when you press the clutch in because its not turning. You should hear that while you are driving as it then turns again .