SAU Community

All happy now.....Car is fixed (Speedo & HICAS)

For all those who offered their ideas for fixing my car...THANKS.

In the end I found that the plastic bit on the end of the speedo cable behind the dash had come away from the cable there for it couldn't turn the speedo. I got a new cable assembly and replaced it.

This also fixed my hicas problem. Turns out that the HICAS needs a speed signal to opperate so once the speedo started working so did the HICAS.

Thanks again for all your input.

R&D to try and prevent Boost drop to 11-12psi when above 6000rpm, without a EBC.

joel cam and I have similar theories on this and that is you need to strengthen the wastegate actuator hks make replacement ones for the rb20 and rb25 and I think rb26. its a trick problem. I had it with vg 30 upon rebuild I'm asking for the p[roblem to be addressed. the other issue could be in the turbo design with the exhaust wheels and houseing not being big enough.

meggala

BTW Cam glad to hear you got the probelm fixed. good work

I've been told 100 times that it is the std small turbo running out of puff up top with the bleed setup so really to fix it with a bleed setup some how i would need to implement a type of variable bleed setup?!?!

Which would obviously be pretty rough as there is no electronics involved..

I don't think that I will be able to stop the boost drop with just a bleed setup..

I will definately look in to what you said btw...

So what you are saying by strengthing the wastegate actuator is that the waste gate is actually being forced open and the spring is unable to hold the pressure that is being developed within the turbo?

thats it exactly now a quick way to fix the problem but you still get a bit of drop is to put a restrictor in the ine I did this on my vg30 .before the restrictor I got 12-13 psi which dropped to 10-11 over 6000 rpm with it I got 16 psi but it dropped back to 12-13 @ 6000 rpm.

driving with a standard rb20 turbo now I can really feel the difference between that and the vg30 the car feel so sluggish above 6000 rpm its not funny and I don't think boost is going to help I haven't fitted a bleed and the car is running 10 psi with the fmic etc.

meggala

the vg30 has heaps more punch @ 4000 all the way to 7800 but untill 300 there isn't much (on my car in the old configuration)

this is the dyno result from when I had my car on 10 psi and it jumped the rollers look at the sharp rise. no reading from 5k rpm onwards.

http://www.meggala.com/images/1turbodyno1.jpg

http://www.meggala.com/images/1turbodyno2.jpg

meggala

you will see what I mean about a steep curve

taken 2nd gear in an auto.

top speed in second in the auto was 125kph @7500