SAU Community

R34 Gtr Gearboxes

Guest Mashrock

What do you mean?

If you mean that if you change at 4k rpm, that the higher the destination gear, the lower the rpm when engaging?

AFAIK, all factory cars are like that. Sure, you wanna be able to boot it at the lights. But you don't want 4.5k on the dial at 100kph.

gearbox ratios are set out 'symetrically' in race cars (eg - supercar V8's) to maximise engine acceleration potential.

i think he means how far the lateral movement is, ie the shifter may move abour 3" left to right, when shifting 2nd to 3rd, but from 4th to 5th, the shifter has to be moved right about 4-5". if so, i've noticed this too (not a 34 gt-r tho). note those measurements are not accurate, just an example

Edited by VB-

Guest Mashrock

yeah shit i should explain myself a bit more.

but i mean the shifter movement.

1-4th is normal and nice and close. but then to from 4-5 there is an akward gap i think that 1-4 just seem very close in together.

as i have had a few mishaps where i have gone to shift into 3rd and found my rear tyres locking up from compression. which i may ad is kinda fun.

luckily i have never done this while really up it as i'd think many sleepless nights would result

comp lockup? goin from 5th to '3rd'? is this because u had to move the shifter sooo far to the left that u missed 3rd? just pullin it down out of 5th, shouldnt it just go back to the centre by itself? u'd have to physically push it further to get to 1st or was it a hurried shift?

Guest Mashrock

come to think of it i didnt have a gear knob on at the time.

and i think it was from going to 4-3.. but only at say around 60ish k

i now have a borrowed pool ball for my shift knob it goes alrite