SAU Community

Change Motor Oil.... HOT OR COLD?

Cubes

When should the motor oil be changed?

When the motor is hot or cold?

I usually do it after a drive and let it drip for an hour or two while I do other things.. Its just the way it pans out.

I noticed that all of the oil flushes say to do it when still hot but this may have somthing to do with the oil flush additive?!?!?

That is what I have always figured.

Btw...

What about the oil being held in the motor still slowly dripping down in to the sump..

If i check my oil in any car just after I have been driving it the level will show a lower level on the dip stick. Thats where I got that theory from anyhow..

I might have to see how long it takes for the oil level to return back to normal after a start..

Yeah, true, I know what you mean :D I think that the amount of oil in the upper end of the motor would be such an amount that it wouldn't be worth worrying about when weighing it up against how long it would take to drain a cold motor.... :) Know what I mean ??

Normally what I do, is let all the oil drain out while its still hot. Then put in some cheap oil and idle for 5 minutes. Empty the cheap oil and put in Shell Helix Ultra.

The oil is much more effective if the grit is cleaned out

i always change mine from hot. leave it for a few hours then put everything back together again. what always gets me though is the oil filter. it always makes a mess!