SAU Community

Cold Start Problem

Hi everyone I need some help, :

I have an r33 94 s1. Now the problem is when I start the car when its cold it will start to misfire and lose cylinders for about 5 seconds and sometimes won’t even start 1st go. You need to push the accelerator to get it going but after that it runs ok.

I’ve changed the plugs, fuel filter cleaned AFM with carby cleaner and still doing it but only when it’s cold. It’s running splitfire aftermarket coil packs and iridium plugs

Mods:

FMIC

Exhaust (turbo back)

Turbo smart plump back BOV

K&N POD filter (cleaned)

ECT…

I was thinking it could be a faulty AFM ? Going to do a ECU diagnostic to see what that tells me.

Any suggestions will be great guys. It’s really annoying having to struggle with it in the morning… :dry:

Thanks,

Alex.

do you regularly run your car low on fuel?

has the same fuel filter been in there a while?

if YES, then theres a good chance the injectors are slightly clogged with sediment from the tank and open again when enough fuel pressure backs up and forces them to squirt open.

try taking them out and getting them cleaned, or try a mates' injectors in there.

do you regularly run your car low on fuel?

has the same fuel filter been in there a while?

if YES, then theres a good chance the injectors are slightly clogged with sediment from the tank and open again when enough fuel pressure backs up and forces them to squirt open.

try taking them out and getting them cleaned, or try a mates' injectors in there.

Thanks for that will look into it tommorrow arvo, will also be trying my mates AFM see if that helps.

Also will be changing fuel pump at some stage.

Any other suggestions will be great.

Thanks,

Alex.

let us know how it goes for everyone else on here with the same probems!

Ok 1st attempt was this arvo. I tried my friends AFM to see if it was a possible problem. Nope still struggled to start, also checked the wires on the ECU and around the engine.

Still need to do a ECU diagnostic test to see if all sensors are working.

Any other suggestions :?

I got the same problem.

There was another similar topic and the guy used a bigger battery and said it fixed the problem.

My dad reckon its because I always run the car until i literally almost run out of fuel so dirts getting sucked in as SLIPPERY mentioned

is your car auto?

I got the same problem.

There was another similar topic and the guy used a bigger battery and said it fixed the problem.

My dad reckon its because I always run the car until i literally almost run out of fuel so dirts getting sucked in as SLIPPERY mentioned

is your car auto?

Nah manual, yes fuel system is my main concern now. I think the injectors are blocked and need to be cleaned.

I will be running a good injector cleaner thru it see how that goes. I used one on my old R33 and it helped alot.

Cheers,

Alex.

If the fuel system comes up ok, check your plugs for any rustyness and also try to swap AFM's with someone as they can cause hard starting when faulty.

Have been done if you seen the above posts.

Cheers,

Alex.

I’ve changed the plugs, fuel filter cleaned AFM with carby cleaner and still doing it but only when it’s cold. It’s running splitfire aftermarket coil packs and iridium plugs
Ok 1st attempt was this arvo. I tried my friends AFM to see if it was a possible problem. Nope still struggled to start, also checked the wires on the ECU and around the engine.

Still need to do a ECU diagnostic test to see if all sensors are working.

Sorry, I did read that the day you posted but forgot when I posted today.

Did you reset the ECU after the install of the other AFM?

Sometimes a leaking injector can cause starting issues as they leak before the initial start and 'flood' the bore which can make it difficult to start.

Also does it make any difference if you wait for the pump to prime, then start?

Very dirty air filter can cause hard start.

Dirty throttle body....unlikely but possible

I am another who has this same problem. I found this searching the net. I dont know how relevant it is but I will try anything to make my car easier to start when its cold. "Now, from what you describe you should check the plugs first to see if you have a leaky injector and that could be the cause of the no start condition when cold. Pull the plugs and if you find one or more that are especially black you have found plugs that are running rich. What is probably happening is that the injectors leak down on those cylinders when the engine gets cold and then it makes them hard to start. " What do you think ppl?

Sorry, I did read that the day you posted but forgot when I posted today.

Did you reset the ECU after the install of the other AFM?

Sometimes a leaking injector can cause starting issues as they leak before the initial start and 'flood' the bore which can make it difficult to start.

Also does it make any difference if you wait for the pump to prime, then start?

Very dirty air filter can cause hard start.

Dirty throttle body....unlikely but possible

No didn't touch the ECU

Tried waiting for the pump, nope still the same

Cleaned my K&N spotless

Will clean the throttle body and idle controller.

OK.. Ran the ECU diagnostic just then and I got an error. 2 long flashes and one short.

Was trying to figure out the codes on the manual and I came up with "IGNITION SIGNAL SYSTEM" OR "AIR FLOW METER" Because its ether CODE #12 OR #21.

I don’t know whether the code is read from left to right or the opposite. I have attached the codes anyway.

If anyone can help on the code that will be great.

Cheers,

Alex.

maybe coil packs or ignitor module

Is it that little black slim black controller at the back of the coils/plugs cover?

How ever ill test my mates coils and ignitor module...

After this saga is solved ill do a "Step By Step" on what i done to solve the problem.

Cheers,

Alex.

Is it that little black slim black controller at the back of the coils/plugs cover?

How ever ill test my mates coils and ignitor module...

After this saga is solved ill do a "Step By Step" on what i done to solve the problem.

Cheers,

Alex.

Can anyone confirm that ignitor module location? Just to make sure im on the right track.