SAU Community

Whos Bought A 32 Gtr? Car Yard, Import Etc....

HI i currently drive a 180 with about 200rwkw and thinking about either a 32 GTR, R33 GTST or even maybe a R34 down the track. Now the only problem on my mind is the reliablitly of finding a 32 gtr as i dont want a lemon and want to spend big $'s reparing it.

So when i find one im going to do the followong and please let me know if i should include a test i left out;

Comp test

check oils (level and colour)

check electrical connectors

and who here has ever bought a nightmare of a skyline filled with issues becaseu i need as much feedback i can get before i take the step

cheers

i importedmy r32 gtr almost 6 months ago and as yet havent had to spend a cent on it except for normal servicing.

if you import all oils etc are replaced as part of compliance so thats not a worry but yes check compression .

main prob with 32's would be the age of them so check carefully for rust ( i was lucky and havent found any on mine yet) but its something to be weary of with the age of the car whether its an import or aus car anything 13 to 17 years old would be checked for rust so its not a specific import versus local build issue

I would strongly suggest that you don't import a car from Japan. Buy one locally.. here is why...

I imported a '89 r32 GTR about 6 months ago through an import broker who I won't name publicly because the admins will likely have a big cry. (PM me for more details). I paid a premium for it, and it turns out that it has severe rust problems in the floor pan at all 4 of the jacking points (on the underside, infront of rear wheels, and behind front wheels). 3 of which are holes all the way through the floorpan. The Engine is is rooted, as is the gearbox. the import broker has basically dropped me and my problems on the floor and has told me to deal with the guy in Japan he organised the buy from. The guy in Japan has been doing his best to get out of it as cheaply as possible. I suspect he is hoping that I will go away eventually. He is wrong... I'll persevere until the end.

If I were doing it all again, I would happily pay up to $30,000 for a local r32 GTR in good condition.

I would take the car to a reputable workshop to have a complete inspection done. I have been quoted by Hyperdrive in Malaga (Perth) that they do a pre-purchase examination for $120 (2 hrs labour). I would imagine this would include a compression and/or leak down test, as well as a dyno run, checks on suspension and chassis (rust etc). If some one selling a car is unwilling for you to have it checked over by a professional, walk away.

Based on your post, Im thinking that you are looking at buying locally and not considering importing?

Cheers,

-Shaun

Edited by shaund