SAU Community

New L/p Plater Law

pokie

i recieved a letter today from the Government reguarding

the new L/P plater law.this is what the letter says:

IF YOU BREAK THE ROAD LAWS YOUR L'S OR P'S WILL NOW

GO BACKWARDS

It is regrettable, but nonetheless true, that Learner and P-plate drivers

are more likely to be involved in crashes.

This makes sense- given the 'L' and 'P' drivers are our most inexperienced

and thus most vulnerable motorists.

This is why the Government introduced the graduated licensing scheme to

provide more structure and experience to trainee drivers.

What does this mean to you?

If you are disqualified or become disqualified from driving your permit or

license will regress- that is, go backwards. These laws will affect you when

when applying for your permit or license on or after Tuesday, 31 October 2006.

If you commit a driving offence, as outlined in the Driver's Handbook, you

will lose your license. In the past, if your license or permit was cancelled, you

could reapply upon conclusion of disqualification period.

However, under these new laws, when you reapply for a license or permit you will regress

to an earlier license stage. This means that you'll need to earn your license or permit

back, possibly at considerable cost and effort.

After disqualification Learner's Permit drivers go backwards to:

• Passing the Learner's Permit Theory Test again, prior to being re-issued with a permit.
  • passing the Basic Ridersafe course if you are a motorcyclist.
  • holding the permit for a total period of nine months.

After disqualification P1 Provisional License drivers go backwards to:

• applying for Learner's Permit (no theory test required).
  • passing a practical driving test again (Vehical on Road Test, Competency Based Training or Advanced Ridersafe), prior to being re-issued with another P1 license.

After disqualification P2 Provisional License drivers go backwards:

• being issued with a P1 Provisional License.
  • passing the Hazard Perception Test again before regaining their P2 license.

These changes mean that 'L' and 'P' drivers who break road laws will be limited by learner

or provisional driver conditions and gain longer driving experience before they attain a full

license.

Those drivers who drive safely and don't break the road rules will not be affected by

these changes.

Finally , remember that many deaths and serious injuries that occur on the State's roads every

year are due to the 'fatal five'. Research shows that these driving activities can place you and

others in great danger and must be avoided. They are:

• speeding- there is no excuse for speeding
  • drink or drug driving- this is zero tolerance for 'L' and 'P' drivers
  • lack of attention while driving- good drivers just drive
  • driving when tired or sleepy- Stop. Revive. Survive.
  • not using your seatbelt- because no trip is too short for a seatbelt.

Please take great care at all times when driving your vehicle.

For further information, please go to www.stopthink.sa.gov.au

Yours Sincerely

(signature)

REGISTRAR OF MOTOR VEHICLES

Note: On 31 October 2005, the Graduated Licensing scheme for new drivers was introduced.

This scheme created two levels of Provisonal License(P1 and P2) and required drivers to pass

a computerised Hazard Perception Test to progress from P1 to P2. Greater penalties were

introduced for disqualified drivers, including a night curfew for serious offenders to restrict

their driving activities between midnight and 5am. When announcing the Graduated Licensing

Sccheme, the Government indicated regression for offending novive drivers would be introduced

12 months later.

-----------------------------------

i The total nine months required to hold a learner's permit can include time a person previously

held a learner's permit.

ii P1 Provisional license must be held for a minimum period of 2 years.

iii P2 Provisional license must be held for a minimum period of 6 months after completing

Hazard Perception Test.

Edited by pokie

targeted!! so much for warnings now!!

the only reason L/P platers are targeted these days is because

most are hoons, drive irresponsibly and disrespect the roads

rules as it is. i'm sure they'll have plenty more laws to come

for L/P plater's.

i think it's a good idea, if you behave yourself and drive

responsibly then you've got nothing to worry about. but if

you drive irresponsibly then prepare to go backwards.

yeh borrowin mums commy for the night to do burnouts at hindley st lol. so they should be targeted, the ammount of times that p platers have nearly hit me or someone else is stupid!

sorry had to point this out ... :)

are you saying your stupid :yes:

oh my god, i seriously cannot believe you guys who are grouping all L and P plate drivers as bad/hoons/irresponsible etc... in many other treads such as those complaining about the police targeting import drivers as they believe that all import drivers are unsafe. there was such an uproar about this - you were all saying "its only the few d!ckheads who ruin it for the rest" and then in the next breath you are saying that all p platers are reckless drivers. you are doing to us what the cops are doing to all import drivers/owners. shame on you....

its more like, most of the p platers r the hoons, not some. whenever i c a p plater u can tell how they drive, always trying 2 change lanes and over take, taking corners fast, taking off at lights, etc etc. i had one this morning try overtake me on a bend (which could have been dangerous) so i taught him a lesson and cut him off n made him stay behind me all the way cos there was a truck infront going slow. ha take that.

oh my god, i seriously cannot believe you guys who are grouping all L and P plate drivers as bad/hoons/irresponsible etc... in many other treads such as those complaining about the police targeting import drivers as they believe that all import drivers are unsafe. there was such an uproar about this - you were all saying "its only the few d!ckheads who ruin it for the rest" and then in the next breath you are saying that all p platers are reckless drivers. you are doing to us what the cops are doing to all import drivers/owners. shame on you....

P platers are in the same boat as cops and us import drivers, THE MAJIORITY RUIN IT FOR THE GOOD GUYS! Ok there are some good people out there, you might be one of those responsible P plate/import drivers out there, but there are WAY more D!cks out there than good drivers thats for sure! I say there should be a compulsry driver training course done to all drivers that get off thier L's and onto thier P's and this would be at a cost to all the drivers, There is only one way to learn to have to pay for it yourself, Unfortunatly i know this!

Edited by Deluxe

how about a special 'rule the roads' test, where if u pass u get a special licence to speed and do stupid things, so ppl like us can get it and b responsible, and every1 that is caught doing it, get put in jail. hahaha

how about a special 'rule the roads' test, where if u pass u get a special licence to speed and do stupid things, so ppl like us can get it and b responsible, and every1 that is caught doing it, get put in jail. hahaha

Jesus Vange.........Jail, Had some mates got to jail before........been there to visit too, Don't think you'd wanna go to jail! Think thats just a litttttttttttttle harsh :):glare::O

Jesus Vange.........Jail, Had some mates got to jail before........been there to visit too, Don't think you'd wanna go to jail! Think thats just a litttttttttttttle harsh :whistling::laugh::D

*COUGH* no its not *COUGH*

i was with a P plater last night in his holden nova and i was very suprised @ his maturity on the road and just his general road etiquette

Looks like im going to cycle to work after October for six months. I was almost off my P plates and i was done for speeding going down a hill!! Anyway another 2 and a half years on my P plates is almost up. I follow the rules the government inforce but you learn from your mistakes. This is just another money making sceme by the government. Yes there are people on the roads who do stupid things and we all suffer from their wrong doings but i believe alot less people will be driving now and there will be alot of older people with their P plates. Will have more of a booo hoo later but i must fly.

Well thats just the thing.... Its not the minority its the majority.. Both for P platers and Import drivers. The majority of male drivers do have a lead foot, my run-ins with them in their dads commodore, statistics and insurance premiums all back this up.

I've seen a handfull of imports driving around in the last couple of days and to be honest, the majority see me another import with a 15month old in his baby seat and boot it around a round about or overtake me stupidly as if they are trying to prove something. To ME... I see the majority ruining it for the minority.

Head out for a drive on friday or sat night and tell me how many of the import drivers drive sensibly, only a very small handfull.

Women P plate drivers, they just cruise.

Growing up.... I knew 2 males in my year that drove sensibly, all the others were dangerous... including myself.

Personally, I have no problem with these changes. I don't agree with the money making aspect of it, as oviously it will cost people when it happens to them, but in terms of learning from your mistakes I think it will make learners drive more carefully.

IMO, people should be educated more on how to drive in the early stages of getting their license. I don't just mean the rules and common sense things, I mean the hands-on aspects such as night driving, wet weather control, loose suface control, defensive driving etc etc.

Most people have never experienced their car being out of control, so when it happens they have no idea what to do.

If I was the one making the rules, I'd make it compulsary for all people to do advanced driver training to progress past your P plates.

Perhaps if more people knew how to drive properly there would be fewer accidents. It's a combination of common sense, education and hands-on experience; not just one.

my 2c :)

I'm 20 and still on my p's due to how seriously dangerous a driver I WAS back in the ricer corolla days. I think the new laws wont change a thing to the way p platers drive

The law should make it harder to get your license in the first place with much more difficult testing and experiencing losing control of a car to scare the s**t out of them