SAU Community

Removing cam cover

MotoX

does anyone know if i can jsut take the cam cover off my 33?

ive seen some rr3's with them off showing their adjustable cam gears.

reason is, u can hear the gilmer belts werring (sounds cool)

lol

and it looks better then stock.

• 4 months later...

Just a couple of bolts....

Use a screw driver i think.

its just the black plastic thing that goes over your timing belt.

Dont drop anything down there when working on your car either.

otherwise you will be removing your radiato, harmonic balancer just to get to the little bugger...

i have done it on mine..

but i never used washes....

Must explain why the car is running soooooo shit....

so you reckon about 2 mm worth of washes. or just a couple of reasonable size ones.

hey thanx man,

but i was talkin about the cam cover, not the cam gear cover,

like u kno the goldish thing that goes over the inlet and exhuast cams.

n i have no idea about the CAS, i read stuff about 15degree and 2 degrees retard or someshit on the exhuast side, but i have no idea bout stuff like that,

MotoX,

ohhh i just saw u'r other thread about polishing the engine bay, i see that u've taken off the CAM cover, and .....it looks like its just the bolts that run along the sides huh? as in u dind't need to take off the cam gears, well right now i've got the bolts out, but it ain't coming off! is it just stuck down hard? didn't wanna wreck anything, but it did move a little bit when you jaam a flat head screw driver and try to wedge it off. umm....is that what u do?

ok. cam coves.

theres i think 4 bolts on each side. so 8 bolts for each cam cover.

They do have a rubber gasket on them, but its not really sealed on. I take it you taken the black 2500 cc rocker cover off already.

There are just 8 bolts holding each of them on.

You will have to take off your crossover pipe to get it off from memory. ANd the transistor that sits on top of your black rocket cover, (if yours is a series 1 motor). But yeah 8 bolts just comes off.

hehe..yea i just got it off, i should off jammed the screw driver in harder. omg i was standing there for so long just gettin pissed off.

anyways, new problem, how do u take out the camshafts?

Do you need to take off timing belt and unbolt the cam gears some how? i've unbolted the arch things marked I 1-7 and E1 -7.

But wHat do i do nexT?

On the inlet cam gear, theres this massize nut, think size 21 under the goldish round plate held by four tiny screws, Do i remove timing belt and then undo that nut?

Or do i just simply grab hold of the cam shaft from the other end of the motor, lift it up abit and.......yank it out?

it sounds stupid, but then the cam cover need a fiar bit of force to wedge it out with a screw driver.

dont take out the cam shaft....

i dont know what your trying to achieve. from reading above, i see that you just wanted the cam cam covers removed.

You dont take out the actual cam shaft. And dont play around with the timing belt, and cam gears, otherwise, you will have to get it all set again, as theres special markings on the betl, that are related to where each piston are....

Top dead centre is where its gotto to be.

If you are just wanting to polish up the covers, then go for it. But you cant drive around with no actual cam covers on the car......

hehe.

lol...woteva...

swappin the internals instead of the engines.

shudup man u kno i'm trying to do anyways.

Or is it that u pretend u kno everything but u have idea?

And for those who don't know what i'm trying to do, I',m doing that N/A camshaft to det motor.

car isn't driveable, n too much trouble to take engine n car to get someone else to do it. and the guy who is puttin the other motor in for me won't do any mods to anything. engine swapping and loom is the most he will go.

So yea. come'on pplz, there heaps of people here have done this converstion, so yea tell me how to get the camshaft out, even tho i ain't gonna use this engine anymore i dun wanna end up snapping anything.

And for the timing belt, that going to be replaced anyways, and for the timing, the mechanic will take care of that when he does the engine and maybe the belt too.

hmm,

why would you want to put the N/A camshaft in the turbo head? please explain, are they more agressive or something....

I am a bit confused, if your not going to be using the motor your working on now, why are you going to the trouble of doing it.

As for the timing belt, when you take it off, just mark the points so you know where they go.

I have never taken out cam shafts, so i wouldn't know.

But from doing the timing belt, i'd imagine once you get the cam gears off, it would just be a matter of pulling them out.

Might be some other little things holding it in place.

but yeah if your not using this engine why you going to the trouble....