SAU Community

Vg30 Highflow Turbocharger

Depends on what needs to be done. You can't balance it

Thats right..... depends on what it type of turbo it is, conditon, etc. Jumped the gun posting early but after "acceptable-tolerances" info etc. Who knows I might never see this turb' lol, never know what might pan out....... its ebay but meh, worth a shot tho.

If its ball bearing and needs a rebuild, it'll take a while until I can afford to do that. If its BB but ok then I can whack it on and enjoy. But I gotta find out if its ok or not.... hence the call for info. If its journal bearing then I think I'd rebuild it with that kit on Pg1, and have it proffessionaly balanced. Sounds like good fun either way.

hehehehe - just hoping they send me the turbo !! lol :)

edit: how to rebuild a turbo http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turborebuild.html

Edited by Tangles

• 2 weeks later...

If thats the case you might very well receive the turbo tangles..

A broken one though :/

If that is the case, (running 24psi of boost through it as he's sold it and blows the thing up) he very much deserves a smack around the head.

with the risk of being abused or what so ever, i will add. u have purchased the turbo from my brother, the aforementioned turbo, was on my 32. its spun the shaft, has no exhaust wheel at all. i will do my best to sort this out asap. sorry for the problems mate. Robby

If thats the case you might very well receive the turbo tangles..

A broken one though :(

If that is the case, (running 24psi of boost through it as he's sold it and blows the thing up) he very much deserves a smack around the head.

the ebay ad quite clearly stated that it suited rebuild, meaning yes it is f**ked!!

the ebay ad quite clearly stated that it suited rebuild, meaning yes it is f**ked!!

Thats a stupid comment... It was stated it was on the car. Then next thing u hear the owner is possibly boosting the crap out of it to see how far it goes and BANG!.

This is a mess........ :ninja: So now its been mis-advertised too????

I was clearly told it was sold in an unknown condition, and that the R32 it was on was a wrecked car driven into the yard......... Plus I bought it on the 8th Aug and paid for it same day - paid extra mind you for registered post too (still awaiting tracking number & details). If it was blown last week, after my payment date - then thats plain dodgy.

Dare I quote:

"Was fitted to a r32 skyline making 257 at the rear wheels on 14psi with only fmic and fuel pump as modifications. Will not be removed from car for more photos until I get atleast 1 bid! Item is sold Suit Rebuild regardless of condition!"

Again, I stress I was clearly told this was on a car that was driven into the yard. If its stuffed then so be it tho - part of the reason I bought it, the risk involved seemed fair enough (like a lucky dip, IMO).

Plus I can quote from emails received too.......

Shane081 - the ebay did NOT clearly state it suited rebuild. See above ^ "sold in a suit rebuild condition, as condition IS NOT KNOWN....." is the info I got via an email when I queried this turbo prior to my bid.

R32 Driftah - Im not the type of person to abuse someone. Lets leave it at that. If you are his brother, and this turbo was sold off your car (as you've stated), then yes your help in sorting this out would be highly appreciated - and thats not said lightly either.

You guys at the wreckers yard (what ever the name is now) have my details...............

Brendan

I hope this guy sorts it out for you.

If not..

I live near Kedron.

I’m happy to go hurt someone for scamming someone else..

If you don’t want to inflict pain, I can have some people at my work go pay him a visit..

They drive commodores with disco lights on top, and they wear nice blue uniforms.

Let me know..

Let me know..

LOL - thanks for that but it seems that the ball is rolling now, no need whatsoever !

Ive got to let ebay deal with it, thats if I never receive the item. simple as that.

Cheers for your thoughts and your soothing words GTST :D

anyway..... it seems (now) that it has a missing exhaust wheel.

who knows where you can source these?

what info do I need to try to make a good 'match' to the front compressor wheel?

seeing that there is supposidly no exhaust wheel, and that it has been pre-highflowed etc, should I also be looking at replacing the cartridge completely and even the front compressor wheel? (ie as in full rebuild or wheels, seals, and cartridge)

Edited by Tangles

So many possible answers, I don’t know where to start. It depends on who did the high flow, what they used, whether they used a new core or the original core, how much machining of the turbine and compressor covers was done, what size compressor and turbine were used.

The bottom line is you will have to wait until you receive it, then you can make some informed decisions. Until then it’s all guess work.

:D cheers :D

once Ive got it, I plan on having some fun with it... my little project for my Stagea, something I feel I may be able to do. Cant afford to throw too much $$ at it tho.

I'll clean her up, take measurements and photos, research info, and most likely repost with questions on how to best match the compressor & exhaust wheels.

So, hows best to clean a turbo? Can you power-sand the metal surface to get off the rust and polish it up? Should the components be soaked in anything to help clean it? etc. Or am I daydreaming, and best advised to send it to a turbo shop (definately will for balancing)............? Id love to give it a go myself tho

:)

Basically, I don't see any problem here.

The ebay ad clearly says that it's for rebuild. It's cheap too, it's only $150. Do you really think you'll get a working highflow for 150? Obviously not.

You won't be able to do anything to it yourself if it's blown end of story. You can clean it, but that's pointless, because as an example, if you take it to GCG, they sandblast it for you and paint the exhaust housing. It looks like new.

So in summary: you will get exactly what was advertised to you. You paid for a blown vg30 turbo, so you will get one.

Basically, I don't see any problem here.

The ebay ad clearly says that it's for rebuild. It's cheap too, it's only $150. Do you really think you'll get a working highflow for 150? Obviously not.

You won't be able to do anything to it yourself if it's blown end of story. You can clean it, but that's pointless, because as an example, if you take it to GCG, they sandblast it for you and paint the exhaust housing. It looks like new.

So in summary: you will get exactly what was advertised to you. You paid for a blown vg30 turbo, so you will get one.

It didn't state it was blown.. :laugh:

Was fitted to a r32 skyline making 257 at the rear wheels on 14psi with only fmic and fuel pump as modifications

Will not be removed from car for more photos until I get atleast 1 bid!

Item is sold Suit Rebuild regardless of condition!

And then there was this..

He only just blew his turbo last week. He was running 24psi through it. I think you might find it is the same one.

Which suggested the turbo was working on the car until 24psi was pushed through it.

But who cares... $150, even if you have to throw a gt2871 bush core or something along those lines through it, do remember Mr. Tangles here doesn't want to throw a whole lot at it, so I believe close to 2k for a gcg may be out of the question. :rofl:

Ff the housings/wheels are still in good nick and only requires a freshen up bonus. :D

Thanks for the Tip, Sgt. Cubes :P

Received the product, pretty much as advertised and as discussed in this thread and a Qld-section thread.

Needs rebuild, might even have it rebored and further "highflowed", there's room for that for sure, a cpl mm until the edge of the housing.

So, dunno if I'll do it myself, will get quotes first.

My thanks to all involved.

Brendan

unfortunately the project has changed directon. as such.

I can confirm its easy to pull down a turbo, and it would be easy to rebuild it too. Costly to a certain degree unless you can buy from a bulk comp/exhaust wheel-stocker, but do-able none the less, youd only need a professional balance job.

The turbo is marked as 16 v 10 front housing, and 16v exhaust housing, suggesting its a r32... so Ive decided Im sending that and a shagged R33 turbo for one of these

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=131723

willing to try out a top helpful and informative SAU'rs trade wares :laugh: