SAU Community

G/b & Diff Oils

Noel

Hi

I have a Manual R33 GTS-T

I have changed all oils/filters etc in engine & now want to do the GB & Diff

Was thinking Motul Gear 300 for the GB & Gear FF for diff but due to being a bit short on cash I am now thinking...

Castrol VMX80 for GB & what Castrol product is suitable for my Diff??

Also just to confirm GB hold 3.8L & Diff 1.3L right??

Cheers

Hi

I have a Manual R33 GTS-T

I have changed all oils/filters etc in engine & now want to do the GB & Diff

Was thinking Motul Gear 300 for the GB & Gear FF for diff but due to being a bit short on cash I am now thinking...

Castrol VMX80 for GB & what Castrol product is suitable for my Diff??

Also just to confirm GB hold 3.8L & Diff 1.3L right??

Cheers

If the gearbox and diff are standard then those figures are correct. The best option for gearbox fluid would have to be Redline Shockproof Lightweight (Smurf's Blood). I think its around $100 for a 3.8Lt bottle. Thats what i will be running in my new box and sources tell me its the best out there for skyline boxes.

If the gearbox and diff are standard then those figures are correct. The best option for gearbox fluid would have to be Redline Shockproof Lightweight (Smurf's Blood). I think its around $100 for a 3.8Lt bottle. Thats what i will be running in my new box and sources tell me its the best out there for skyline boxes.

Thanks

Yea i also heard Redline is the best but also most expensive therefore i would rather the "cheapest best" option hehe

Just remember that RB25DET gearboxes are becoming a very sought after item in australia and are also become very hard to find. Ive been searching for 3 weeks for a box and after finally finding one i can finish my build. Just remember you get what you pay for and if you take the cheap option, specially on lubricants for your motor and gearbox you can suffer an expensive lesson.

Just remember that RB25DET gearboxes are becoming a very sought after item in australia and are also become very hard to find. Ive been searching for 3 weeks for a box and after finally finding one i can finish my build. Just remember you get what you pay for and if you take the cheap option, specially on lubricants for your motor and gearbox you can suffer an expensive lesson.

I agree but nissan recommend VMX80 so i cant see how it can do any harm? plus there are lots of people on here using it, so its not like i'll be throwing in any odd oil...I just want the cheapest option out of the oils which are recommended for my car (which is stock BTW)

Then you will be fine. If you ever thinking of increasing the power of your vehical remeber to upgrade your oils to cope with the heat you will create in the box itself. remember its all moving parts down there and if it dont stay lubricated the metal on metal sound aint good to hear. You dont want your box fluid to boil and loose all viscosity and become water like.

Then you will be fine. If you ever thinking of increasing the power of your vehical remeber to upgrade your oils to cope with the heat you will create in the box itself. remember its all moving parts down there and if it dont stay lubricated the metal on metal sound aint good to hear. You dont want your box fluid to boil and loose all viscosity and become water like.

Thanks

So VMX80 is good for the GB but what should i use for the diff?

Also i just read that Gearbox oil is infact 2.8L not 3.8L...which is correct?

Depends on what bleed you get from it. I get the 3.8l Smurf Blood and i used most of the bottle so i guess its a little under. I used a modified GB though so my capicity may be slightly higher. Ive just smashed box box to high heaven so ive lined myself up a standard RB25DET box and im dropping that in shortly. Im sure the standard is 1 gallon which im sure is 3.8Lt. I may be wrong but im sure a std . Diff i never touch as i blow them that often they dont get a chance to get to an oil change.