SAU Community

Rb2x Into R30/dr30

datto_boy

this is my next idea too, i have an r33 rb25det in my r31 daily and want to go to the NEO in the HR30, good to know it fits, do you have more pics??

im interested too! (not actually contemplating)

the NEO 25 has more torque than a Rb20det (I've heard...)

brillinat fuel economy too if driven nice...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

HELP,

The conversion is finished and I've had the car out for a couple of test rides, and everything was going well untill, I put the stick in first let out the clutch and heard a rattle and clunking noise coming from the rear of the gearbox (front of the tail shaft) but, it only happens betweem 800 - 1500 rpms then everything is fine.

What is this????

I thought the angle of the tail shaft was off so i put some spacers in the middle hanger, but got nothing.

does anyone have any ideas.

• 3 weeks later...
HELP,

The conversion is finished and I've had the car out for a couple of test rides, and everything was going well untill, I put the stick in first let out the clutch and heard a rattle and clunking noise coming from the rear of the gearbox (front of the tail shaft) but, it only happens betweem 800 - 1500 rpms then everything is fine.

What is this????

I thought the angle of the tail shaft was off so i put some spacers in the middle hanger, but got nothing.

does anyone have any ideas.

did you fix the problem?

stuffed uni joint??

• 3 weeks later...
any update on this???

and RSX84, are you able to get some Pics of your current setup?

and ehat was the 'non cuting' solution for tailshaft??

did you use one from a old bluebird??

anything in particular you want pics of?

I fitted an rb30et to an mr30 with all standard manifolding, customised gearbox xmember and customised engine

mounts. sump clears and so does the plenum. Its possible to make it fit if you wanna muck around for a couple of

days.

hrmm. ok. well when i put the rb26 in my dr30 the only thing i had issues with was engine mounts. a local xmember is better or a non turbo one. as the mounts are paralel.

i basicly uses the factory rb engine mounts. i had to make a custom gearbox xmember. and tailshaft. (rb25 box)

ive stiill got the shaft kiking around. the selector lined up fine.

wiring wasnt an issue. (aftermarket ecu)

the driveline angle wasnt perfect but. (couldnt get the box high enough and the engine low enough) so slight vibration was felt

• 3 weeks later...
hrmm. ok. well when i put the rb26 in my dr30 the only thing i had issues with was engine mounts. a local xmember is better or a non turbo one. as the mounts are paralel.

i basicly uses the factory rb engine mounts. i had to make a custom gearbox xmember. and tailshaft. (rb25 box)

ive stiill got the shaft kiking around. the selector lined up fine.

wiring wasnt an issue. (aftermarket ecu)

the driveline angle wasnt perfect but. (couldnt get the box high enough and the engine low enough) so slight vibration was felt

i'm wanting to put a RB26 in mine... can it be registered in Vic? and it doesn't sound that hard a job labour wise

putting the engine in is only half the fun, its the other things that you end up needing the do to get it right, suspension, brakes, fuel, intercooler and exhaust....

then theres the things you find out later, like the brakes you need to run are to big for your current rims....

putting the engine in is only half the fun, its the other things that you end up needing the do to get it right, suspension, brakes, fuel, intercooler and exhaust....

then theres the things you find out later, like the brakes you need to run are to big for your current rims....

z32 brakes all round with a five stud conversion and 17inch rims

already has a 3inch stainless mandrel bent

Rb25 box

larger fuel pump (gtr in tank should do the trick)

then...... comes the fun stuff.... engine management....

• 7 months later...

Guys,

Sorry its taken me 6 months to respond. I've been away.

However here are some pics of my Rb25 neo in a 4 door 1984 MR30.

Some things i should point out.

Engine Mounts - I got mine off a VL commodore. One is longer than the other. Engine seems to sit upright though.

Radiator - The RB series motors have both water inlet and outlet on the same side. Requires a custom hose, or custom radiator.

Electrics - Some things will not match up. Rev meter for one, and temp sensor is a little off range. (when your guage hits C it means you need to pull over)

Knock at low RPM - Still have not figured this out out. Going to put it up on ramps and check out all the angles this week.

Power Steering - I had a chat with a mechanic during the week about the power steering because I still have the power steering pump off the R34 front cut, he seems to think that if you make up the pipes to the MR30 power steering assy, and hook up the resevoir, it will work. Its just a matter of adjusting the screw on the back of the pump to suit the MR30. if its to light turn the screw out, vice versa (it has to be better than nothing)

There are a few other little things as well like relay wiring for the radiator fan, and why the warning lights on my dash still come on. But its just a matter of spending some time with the wiring diagram.

If you guys want any more pics just let me know, I promise it wont take six months this time

post-7055-1199658501_thumb.jpg

post-7055-1199658519_thumb.jpg

post-7055-1199658585_thumb.jpg

post-7055-1199658610_thumb.jpg

post-7055-1199658626_thumb.jpg

I do have a question for all those out there that have done an RBXX conversion, What arrangements have you made for a tacho.

I remember quite a while ago that someone was attempting to connect the R30 factory one to the RB signal.

Did this ever work?

Thanks

Thats a nice install, well done! So much room to work on. you gotta love that.

I had no problem with the tacho. Mine works fine with the rb30et factory ecu.

Only thing i have trouble with is the water, but i just use an aftermarket guage for that.

Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and take the possible flaming that goes with it but...........keep ya RB motors for R31/32/33/34's and leave the DR's alone, the FJ is what they are born with and should be left as such, if u want to put an RB in something put one in a Pintara, cheap to buy and come with great seats :thumbsup:

Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and take the possible flaming that goes with it but...........keep ya RB motors for R31/32/33/34's and leave the DR's alone, the FJ is what they are born with and should be left as such, if u want to put an RB in something put one in a Pintara, cheap to buy and come with great seats :D

you tell em!...... Its like taming a wild animal in my opinion. They way the Engine delivers the power in one word is PWOARHHH!!

Wouldnt a CA18DET be a better option to drop in a pintara? seeing the have an CA20, wouldnt it just be a pretty straight forward swap from CA20> CA18DET???

Im personally not buying a 6 until I get a 32 GT-R for my collection